Letting of steam...

Athene Perthro

Athene stared out of the window and took several deep, calming breaths. Below she could see the lake, glistening in the sun light, and beyond that the quidditch pitch... She still hadn't gotten around to applying for the quidditch team.
I doubt they'd take me, she thought bitterly. All the Slytherins at this stupid school seem to be against my views of pure blood, calling me rude and telling me I aught to 'bond with other houses'. The nerve of them! What kind of Slytherin would I be if I were to befriend, say, a Huffelpuff! It's outrages. She punched the stone wall next to the window hard with her fist. I had been told to expect better than that from Slytherin house. I almost feel ashamed of them. Ashamed of my own house! She laughed dryly. Her mother would have a fit if she ever heard her say that. But if mother knew the Slytherin students that Hogwarts currently holds, she would surely agree. She let out a deep sigh. Her snake, Artemis, which had been resting on the windowsill, coiled it's self up her arm and gave her a reassuring nudge.
"It's nice to know you at least care about me, Temi," she whispered to her pet.

Estrella was walking around the school, having been reviewing for exams and deciding that she needed to take a break. She made her way up to the Sixth Floor Corridor, her head in the clouds, and all of a sudden, she noticed that that rude customer from Flourish and Blott's was there. Smirking, she made her way up to the girl, not exactly looking for a fight. She did think, that probably, she had antagonized the girl too.

"So, what kind of a snake is she? A boa?" she inquired suddenly.

Athene jumped, startled by the sudden voice behind her. She hadn't seen anyone approach. She spun around to see a girl she recognized from one of the shops. A Ravenclaw, she remembered.
"Not that it's any of your business," said Athene sulkily, "but yes she is a boa."

Ignoring the girl's rude comment, Estrella smirked. "How old is she?"

I don't care if she doesn't like me; that isn't going to stop me from talking. She wasn't exactly feeling like backing down from everyone today.

Athene blinked. She actually had no idea how old Artemis was, but she assumed she was fairly young, as she was very small for a boa. She wondered why she hadn't asked when buying it.
She shrugged and turned back to the window, and Artemis settled on her shoulder, staring back at the Ravenclaw.

"Sooo," Estrella said, looking around, "What's there to do up here besides look out a window?" She suddenly remembered with a pang of sadness that it was in this corridor that she, Alex, and Rose had found a secret passageway, and encountered some rather unpleasant things. But Alex was distant now, and Rose had well, died.

"Not a lot," said Athene cooly without turning around. She wandered why this girl was talking to her. She must want something, she thought instinctively, but she couldn't image what anyone would want with her. She seemed to be becoming a bit of an outcast, and wished (ever so slightly) that she had spent more time with other children before starting school.

Estrella shivered as a cold breeze drifted in through the window. Winter was coming on, and fast. "So, where did you come from?" she inquired, "I came from the States. I used to live in Europe, but then I moved when I was five." She declined to mention the reason, however, why she had moved, keeping her mouth shut.

"Why're you talking to me?" Snapped Athene. Does she really think I care about her history? she thought angrily. She'd never moved in her life. Her parents had left England and moved to New Zealand before she was born, and she'd lived in the Waikato region all her life. But she wasn't going to tell her that.

"Because I feel like it," Estrella replied not a bit snarkily, shrugging as she narrowed her eyes. "And there's nothing better to do."

"Hello,esterella(i hope we have met before i dont remebr meeting you though i ow you.)"said Dan as he spotted a third year of their house and he assumed the other girl was a slythrin,"R u a slythrin?"he asked with a little hesitation though he didnt care if the girl wold reply or not ,he just thought he had to know.

((I suppose we would have, seeing as you are in my house. :p But normally, you don't know people unless you've actually met them in an rp. ;-) ))

"Hi," Estrella said unwaveringly, still staring back at Athene. She couldn't remember the other first year's name, although she knew that he was in her house.

Mohindra sat quietly against the opposite wall of the corridor, immersed in her book. She'd been sitting there for quite some time, waiting for her brother, but no one seemed to have noticed her and her brother had yet to show up. So she'd taken up reading again, enjoy chapter after chapter of her book, A Tale of Insanity, and unintentionally listening in to the conversation between the third year Ravenclaw and the first year Slytherin.

"Does she really need a reason to speak?" Mohindra said calmly, her eyes still glued to her book. "A great woman once said that if you have something worth saying, and the world would be lacking without it said, than you have right to voice what your mind whispers."

Estrella jumped a bit as a voice came out of nowhere, and then she recognized the form assimilated in the darkness. "Were you talking to her or me?" she asked, raising her eyebrow. "Who are you? I didn't see you there."

"Mohindra Vallumbosa," Mohindra said softly, looking up from her book, though not directly at anyone in particular, "And it really doesn't matter who I was speaking to. The words still mean the same thing."

She shrugged, returning to her book only because she didn't expect to be given much notice. "Either way, it was in your favor, if you must know." She concluded nodding in Estrella direction.

Estrella raised her eyebrow. All of the first years she had met either seemed to be overly annoying or just plain odd.

She shrugged, saying, "I see. I'm Estrella Drage." She felt that the girl didn't care much, but it would be extremely rude just to ignore her.

Mohindra glanced up again, numbly surprised to have been acknowledged. Most people chose to ignore her after her first comment, however those people had also known who she was and what was wrong with her.

"Err... you're a third year right?" she asked rather lamely, already knowing the answer. At this point she was merely scrabbling to make conversation.

"Yeah," Estrella replied, smiling broadly. "You a first year? What house are you in?" She was glad to get some of the negativity out of this conversation.

"Gryffindor," Mohindra sighed, shifting a little uncomfortably as she said the next bit, "and... yes. I'm a first year."

Part of her was hoping against hope that the other girl wouldn't ask about why she was a first year at thirteen, but another part of her hoped she would. Perhaps it would be better to get her history out in the open and done with before she made any friends. The sting of rejection would hurt as much if she was still a loner when her little secret got out.

She doesn't look like a first year, Estrella thought, but whatever. She smiled warmly. "Well, if you ever have any questions about anything, I'm a prefect." She smirked, knowing that would probably irritate Athene. But did she care? For as rude as Athene had been to her, not that much. "Where did you come from, Mohindra?"

"Transylvania? Seriously? That's cool." Estrella smirked. "I was born in Britain but moved to the States when I was five." And I might live in Norway within a year, she thought to herself somberly, but no one else knew about that.

"My brother and I bought a place here a couple months ago." Mohindra said, her voice slowly dethawing from its naturally icy hollowness as she grew more confident in actually being social.

"We still own the old place though." The words spilled out of her mouth before she even had a chance to register them in her mind and it wasn't long before she regretted them. Her face fell slightly as bitter memories trickled across her mind but she pushed them back. Defient against her first instinct to hide behind her book again, she snapped the tatty leather cover shut and dropped the novel onto her lap.

Athene listened to the two chatting away grumpily, without turning around to watch. The corridor had been peaceful before they turned up, she thought bitterly.
"Perhaps we should scare them away?" She whispered quietly in parseltongue to her snake, quietly so as Estrella couldn't hear. The snake rose it's head, interested. Athene smirked.
"It's a shame your not bigger, you could bite off their heads."
Artemis rose her thin, green body as high as she could, as if to say, 'i'm big enough', and Athene laughed softly at her friend.
"Not quite," she said in English and looking back out at the sky, and Artemis eyed her suspiciously, as she always did when Athene spoke to her in a human tongue.

((OoC: sorry for not replying sooner!))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back