Unwanted company brings unwanted news

As Patricia talked Anne was lost in her own thoughts, to be quite honest she couldn’t care less about Kalif Styx. But for this purpose of the conversation it was important that she stayed on the topic of him. Anne was brought out of her track of mind when she heard ask why all the questions. Looking up at her husband with worry in her eyes she saw him nod, he knew it was time, she knew it was time even though she didn’t want it to be.

Patricia frowned when she looked up seeing both her parents staring at each other, what is wrong with these two today? She wondered to herself, sitting up again. Standing up she kept looking at both her parents, she furrowed her eyebrows, now she was getting annoyed, they were keeping something from her and they weren’t letting on. “Right you two have been acting weird since I came in, what’s wrong?” she asked in an edge in her voice, she didn’t like her parents keeping things from her that seemed important.

Breathing a heavy sigh Anne looked now at Patricia, her fake brightness had disappeared and she had a serious look on her face, but she attempted to soften it, the last thing she wanted to do was scare Patricia away so soon. “Patricia we,” she said, quickly glancing up at Gerard she shook her head and said, “I have something to tell you, now I want you to promise me you will hear me out first before saying anything.” She said staring her daughter in her eyes, her own starting to fill with tears again. “This isn’t easy for me and I want you to make it as easy as possible for me.” She pleaded.

Patricia listened to her mother, her expression softened when she saw her mother’s eyes, her face was stern and serious, but her eyes were full of sorrow. Patricia became confused by her mother’s words, something was wrong then, she knew her mum hadn’t told her the truth when she first asked. “Mum’s what wrong?” she asked, her heart thumping so hard against her chest she was sure that her parents could here it. So many questions were going through her head at that moment in time, Was someone not well? Was it Nataliia and the baby? were the two at the front of her mind, she wasn’t able to make sense of everything else. But what had that to do with Professor Styx? Or did it even have anything to do with him? Was he just used as a conversation topic to keep of the real one? Patricia wished her mum would just hurry up and tell her.

Gerard felt Patricia sit up again and his gaze following her and cutting to Anne every other second. “Patricia just do as your mother asks, please.” He said to Patricia before she could ask anymore questions. Patting the seat where she was seconds ago he said, “Now sit down and let you’re mum explain.” he said, his voice remaining as calm as ever, he had too or no one else would. Signing he looked over at Anne again and gave her another nod, it was now or never.

Patricia looked over at her father as he talked to her. “Fine I promise.” she said quickly. Right now she would say anything to make her mum just talk and say what she had to say, the suspense was killing her. Sitting down again between both her parents she crossed her arms and looked at her mum. “Now will you tell me?” she asked, her voice clearly showing how annoyed she was becoming.

Anne let out a frustrated sigh as Patricia got more agitated when she asked her to hear her out first, maybe I shouldn’t tell her, if she’s like this and she doesn’t even know the news yet. Anne thought to herself as Gerard talked to her. Anne smiled gratefully at him, he always had a way with Patricia that didn’t, at least they are going to be OK after this Anne thought relieved. Of course she never had any doubt that Patricia and Gerard would be any less close once Patricia knew everything.

When Patricia sat down again Anne nodded softly, “Yes.” she replied. Taking a deep breath she felt the nerves in her stomach. Biting her bottom lip she started, “Right, first of all I should let you know that previous to the wedding I have meet Kalif Styx, just once though.” She assured her quickly, although she knew Patricia wouldn’t understand why that was of importance just yet.

Patricia listened to her mother talk, confusion growing within her. Why were they talking about Professor Styx? “So?” She asked her mother. It didn’t matter to her that her mother had met one of her Professor’s before. But then again her mum wouldn’t be telling her this if there wasn’t a reason to it. “Will you just stop beating round the bush and tell me what this is all about?” she said, frustration clear in her voice.

Anne bit her bottom lip as she thought about how to continue. She let out a small sigh as Patricia started talking. So much for promising to hear me out first she thought to herself. When she was about to tell Patricia to hear her out she heard her outburst. Anne’s mouth formed a small ‘o’ she couldn’t believe that Patricia snapped at her like that, but what shocked her most was how much it sounded the way Kalif had spoken to her the day at the Three Broomsticks. “You sound just like you’re father you know that?” Anne retorted, anger seeping through her words. It was only moments after she realised what she had said, clapping her hands over her mouth she daren’t continue.

Patricia furrowed her eyebrows again at her mothers comment, a little bit scared at the way her mum talked to her but that didn’t bug her. “What do you mean by that?” Patricia asked. She was completely dumbfounded now. Not once in her 14 years had she ever heard her father react the way she just did. Looking over at her dad Patricia shook her head. “Dad never does that.” she said looking back at her mum to see her hands over her mouth and her eyes full of fear. Now she was completely confused, adults are weird, Patricia thought to herself.

Anne felt as if her heart was breaking when she heard Patricia call Gerard, ‘dad’, how could she tell her that the man she had been calling dad for the past 14 and a half years wasn’t really her dad. As tears started to roll down her cheeks she shook her head and looked at Patricia. “That’s what I need to tell you, Patricia, Gerard isn’t your father.” she said, unable to say the last words to her face. Instead she looked over at Gerard and just shook her head; she couldn’t say the last bit.

Patricia sat in silence as she waited for her mother to explain herself. Patricia had never seen her mother, or father for that matter, acting so strange. Something was up and she knew it, but what she didn't know was what 'it' was. Patricia held her breath as she waited for her mother to tell her, she knew it was coming.

Patricia prepared herself to hear the worst, as far as even death; which to the 14 year old was she could phantom. But what she did hear was far worse than she imagined. It was so stupid that it and to be a lie. Surprisingly Patricia found herself laughing, not hysterically, but laughing nonetheless. ”Ha ha mum, very funny.” she said trying to convince herself, but if it wasn't a joke, why would her mum say that to her.

When Patricia saw how mother was she knew it wasn't a lie, ”Mum you can't be serious?” she said, raising her voice now in anger. She couldn't imagine her father being anyone else apart from...her father, the man she had called dad since she could talk, it was her first word for crying out loud. ”Well then who is it?” she demanded. Right now she was so angry at her mother that she couldn't feel the nerves in her stomach, she was about to find out who her real father was. She couldn't believe this was happening!

Gerard sat listening to Patricia and Anne talk, or cry and shout as the case was. He kept his eyes of Anne, not wanting to look at Patricia for fear of crying, he had to remain strong between all this, as always. And then he heard the words, the words that felt like a blow to his gut. And now Patricia knew the truth, the worst part was over, now for the next bit. Seeing his wife shake her head he knew she couldn't do it she couldn't say the last few words. Taking a heavy sigh Gerard knew the responsibility was on him. Standing up beside Patricia he looked at her, with sorrow in his eyes. “I'm so sorry you had to find out, at all.” he started off. After a quick glance at Anne he looked back at Patricia and said,“Patricia, Kalif Styx is your real father.” Never taking his eyes off Patricia, wondering how she would react.

Seeing her father stand up Patricia looked up to face him, tears in her eyes, how could he not be her father? It wasn't possible, they had been father and daughter for 14 years now, no one else could ever take his place. Patricia heard him start to tell her who her father was, she couldn't believe her mum was making him tell, it was all her fault she should do it. But once she heard an all to familiar name she stopped thinking about anger for her mother and looked at her 'dad' dumbfounded. “What the hell!” she shouted. “OK this has got to be a joke. That man is not my father. What kind of sick joke are you two playing on me?” she screamed, tears flowing out of brown eyes. But with one more look at her parents faces she knew it wasn't a joke. Kalif Styx, her Herbology Professor, was her father. Patricia couldn't even think about it without feeling physically sick. How could her mother ever do such a thing? With a million and one questions running through her mind Patricia shook her head at her parents and ran up to her room. Locking the door she threw herself on her bed and cried until she could cry no more, her life was ruined!

End of thread<i></i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back