Unwanted company brings unwanted news

Anne Rogers

OOC First Name
Pat
Anne paced back and fourth in the front room of her house in Northern Ireland, she was shaking and couldn’t stop. I will. I won’t. I will. I won’t she repeated to herself over and over again. Why was she having second thoughts now, right before she was going to do it. She knew there was no backing out now, she had to do it. She had told Gerard a few nights ago, needless to say he hadn’t taken it way at all, but Anne understood that, she was a terrible wife and an even worse mother.

She didn’t deserve the wonderful and loving family that she had. She was too lucky and now the one slip up she had made in all those perfect years was coming back to bite her. She had never imagined informing her family in this matter, somewhat rushed, not well thought out and completely unexpected, but no matter when she did it, no one was going to accept it. She glanced up at the clock and saw that Patricia should be arriving home any minute now.

Gerard sat out in the kitchen preparing some tea, he didn’t know why it wasn’t going to help the situation but it just seemed like the thing to do, everyone did it in these circumstances. His thoughts were on, not what was about to happen, but a few night prior when Anne had confirmed his suspicions of the past 14 years. He never wanted to believe it but a part of him always knew that Patricia wasn’t really his daughter.

But with these suspicions in mind he always paid extra close attention to Patricia to make sure she had all she wanted, without being spoilt. Sure it may seem to some that he was trying to buy his daughters love and affection but in all honesty he thought it would help Patricia remember who her father had been her whole life when her real father was away with his family. Watching his wife from the kitchen, Gerard frowned, he was concerned for his wife.

Anne looked up as she saw her husband come out of the kitchen. She never loved him more as she did this moment in time; and for that she felt 100 times worse. She did not deserve such an understanding and loving husband as Gerard. He could have easily gotten angry, upset or shouted at her when she informed him of the awful thing she had done but no, he just comfort her as she broke down into tears once again

Standing at the door between the kitchen and the living room Gerard watched his wife with worried eyes. How could he be angry or upset with her at a moment like this? It was as bad for her as it was for him, but as per usual he would stay clear from all emotions, and remain the strong one throughout the thing – someone had too.

Fresh tears in her red eyes she felt Gerard’s arms around her. She stopped her pacing and stood embraced in her husband’s arms. It was almost time. Looking up into Gerard’s eyes she felt the tears starting to run down her pale cheeks. “Gerard I…” she started off, about to apologise for what seemed the millionth time already, but she couldn’t say it, instead she just buried her head in her husband’s chest and began to sob quietly.

Moving forward her wrapped Anne in his arms in a comforting embrace, kissing her softly on the top of her head. For better or worse the words of the vows they shared 27 years ago went through his head and he was going to stick to them. Hearing Anne starting to talk again he looked down at her and shook his head. He knew what she was going to say and he didn’t want her too say it – he knew how sorry she was and he accepted it. As she cried into his chest he placed his chin lightly on the top of her head and looked out of the window Right on time he thought as he saw Patricia making her way up to the house. “It’s time.” he said softly to Anne.

Patricia turned into her street, wearing her usual smile today – no wonder she won ‘Happiest’ last year, completely unaware of the news that she was about to receive, that would no doubt change her life forever. Skipping up the stony path she opened the door to see her parents wrapped in each others arms in the middle of the living room. “Get a room you two.” she said with a playful giggle as she closed the door.

Anne buried her head deeper into her husband’s chest, above all that was going on in her head at that moment, she was somewhat comforted by having Gerard there for her. Her head shot up when she heard Gerard muttered that it was time. She looked up at him with wide eyes, full of fear. Hearing Patricia fiddle with the lock she took a few deep breaths, trying to calm her sobs. She released herself from Gerard’s warm embrace and looked at him one last time, not wanting to face her daughter just yet. Drying her eyes and without turning to face Patricia she said, “Honey, go put your bag away and get ready for dinner.” her voice breaking a bit.

Shrugging her shoulders at her mothers command Patricia closed the door and went up to her room. After a few minutes she was ready and made her way down the stairs. Before taking the first step she heard her mum and dad talking in hushed tone. They were talking too quiet for Patricia to even make out bits of what they were saying. Not letting it annoy her she made her way down the stairs. “So what’s for dinner mum?” she asked as she sat on the couch reaching for the remote control to see what was on television.

“I can’t do this.” Anne said quietly to her husband. Anne’s eyes kept darting back and fourth from the stairs every few seconds, making sure Patricia wasn’t insight. She knew she was going to have to tell her sooner or later but she didn’t want to give away any sighs that something was wrong.

Hearing Patricia coming down the stairs Anne put a smile on her face. “No TV, dinner will be here soon.” Anne said, faking brightness. Sitting down beside her daughter Anne signalled for Gerard to sit as the other side of her. “So did you have a good time at Biddy's?” she enquired about the sleepover from the previous night, referring to her best friend by her nickname.

“Yes you can. Don’t worry.” Gerard assured his wife. He wished he could say more to help her. He felt so useless right now, but he would stay by his wife and do all he could for her. Watching Patricia come down the stairs he felt a strange overwhelming feeling to cry. He loved all of his children dearly by he and Patricia had always been so close, more so than Christopher and Joseph. But she was his little girl and now that he knew that was no longer the case – even though he was never going to let this affect their relationship, he wondered how Patricia would react. Remaining silent he sat down beside her.

As Patricia was about to press the power button she heard her mother's request. Dinner will be here soon? Oh take away! Patricia thought excitedly. She knew that it was a special treat because she would be heading back to New Zealand very soon and her parents were treating her, but she didn't mind. Setting the buttons down on the coffee table she leaned back on the sofa and thought about how she had spent last night and a part of the morning.

"You know the usual." She started off non-chalantly. "Got a few DVDs out, some sweets and juice. Sat up most of the night talking. Biddy begging me not to go back to New Zealand." she said with a small laugh. "Mum when can I tell Biddy about Hogwarts and the magical world? I hate lying to her." She asked her mum, frowning. She looked up at her mum, hoping the puppy dog eyes would work. But when she looked up at her mum she saw that her eyes were red and puffy, like she was crying, "Mum what's wrong?" she asked, afraid of what the responce would be.

Anne smiled warmly at her daughter as she talked about her night. She was so happy that Patricia had remained such good friends with Briege Anne, even though they didn't really see each other during the school year and couldn't exactly write as Briege Anne would find it extremely weird having an owl deliver letters to her house, but occassionally Anne would send on a few for her, but with the busy schedule they had at last year, she didn't find much time to do it.

When Patricia asked the question, one she had been asking for a while now Anne lifted her hand to stroke Patricia's hair, "Honey you know the rules. Briege Anne wouldn't believe you without showing her magic and you're underage. But when you're 17 you can do what you use, and you know I love Biddy but you have to be sure she won't go telling everyone." Anne said, having said the words plenty of times. When Patricia enquired what was wrong Anne tried to fake confusion, "What are you talking about. Everything's fine." she said with a smile to convince Patricia as much as possible. She is too observant for her own good. Anne thought to herself.

Patricia sighed as she heard her mother start off on her rant again about the rules. Patricia stuck to the rules everyday at Hogwarts, why did they have to be even more outside of Hogwarts. Even though Patricia knew she shouldn't do it she was so tempted to take out her wand somedays and do a few simple spells, even just to do some light housework, but alas she knew she would have her wand taken from her and probably kicked out of Hogwarts. Patricia knew she wouldn't be able to do that, she loved Hogwarts and the Professors and all of her friends, but to start back again in the muggle world would be too hard for her.

"Ok, ok I get it." she said holding her hands up in annoyance, wanting to move on to the next subject. Recently Patricia was getting a bit annoyed when she didn't get her way about things that were as important to her, such as magic. She knew her family wouldn't understand because they were muggles and therefore had no magic blood in them. Patricia often wondered how far back the magic line went in her family, surely someone must remember magic, but then she just figured it was a squib who had been disowned by their family as so many were.

When her mum replied that nothing was wrong Patricia raised an eyebrow, she wasn't one bit convinced and knew her mother must have been crying but was lying to her. She could have least made a better excuse, that she was chopping onions or something." Patricia thought to herself, not that she ever had to lie before. "Fine." she said with a shrug of her shoulders knowing she, once again, wasn't going to get her.

Anne rolled her eyes at her daughter, she wasn’t going to get cross with her for acting up bit, mainly because she had to keep her in a good a mood as possible for the time being, but also she had to remember she was teenager so she had some excuse. Plus she was a teenage witch, living in the muggle world, she knew it must be hard for Patricia, keeping the majority of her live a secret from those that were near and dear to her back home. “Good.” Anne said with a bright smile as Patricia left both topics to rest. “Oh an owl came for you today.” Anne said moving swiftly on. Leaning over to the coffee table she handed Patricia the letter that had arrived that morning.

Patricia said bolt upright as her mother told her an owl had come for her, well who else? she thought to herself. Smiling she ripped open the letter, knowing it was from the school. As she opened the contents of the letter she saw it was he supplies list and timetable. “Oh yay!” she exclaimed as she read the letters.

Gerard sat quietly as his two favourite girls talked among themselves. He was very apprehensive as they talked, Patricia had picked up on Anne’s red eyes, what else would she pick up on? Well there wasn’t much to pick up on, not yet anyway. So far everything was going swimmingly. “What is it?” Gerard asked as Patricia read the letter.

“Oh I’m just reading my timetable.” Patricia said with a smile, “It looks pretty decent and I have Herbology first, so at least I get one of my favourite classes at the start to ease me back in.” she said with a giggle. Of course there weren’t many classes that Patricia didn’t like, come to think of it she didn’t hate any of her classes, except maybe Potions but that was more to do with it was at rather than the class itself, Patricia found it rather enjoyable actually.

Reading the other letters she was sad to find out that Professor Manteia had left for good, he was an amazing teacher and Arithmancy had become one of her favourite electives – Violet was right. But now Professor Glasson was taking it. “Any idea if Chris has seen or talked to Professor Glasson since the wedding?” Patricia asked with a laugh. She still didn’t like the fact the two knew each other, it was far too weird, but now Professor Glasson was teaching Arithmancy, they would have another thing in common, Maths.

Now Professor Spenser was taking History of Magic, I hope he’s good Patricia thought to herself, she really did enjoy that class and liked to have good teachers with her favourite subjects. Above that Professor Firn had left leaving Professor Burke to be the new Transfig Professor, She’s Kat’s mum right? Patricia thought to herself. Professor Merrythought had officially taken over Muggle Studies and was the new Hufflepuff Head of House. Patricia beamed at this, she loved Professor Merrythought she was so nice, but it was sad to see Professor Weiss go. And finally Professor Eastman was taking over Astronomy, again, Patricia hoped he was a decent Professor as Astronomy was another one of her favs.

“Herbology!” Anne said, her voice a bit shaky. With Hogwarts not having any parent/teacher meetings Anne didn’t really know any of Patricia’s Professors; apart from what she told her in letters and when she was at home. Anne knew her daughter had a keen interest in the subject and was gifted at it, not only from her grades, but also from talking to the Professor about her. “Professor Styx teaches that right? She asked her daughter.

“Yeah that's right.” Patricia said setting the letter down on the table again, remembering to put it in her room later for when she was going to pack and so she could get her supplies. Patricia was impressed that he mother had remembered who the Herbology Professor was. Sure Patricia had mentioned all of her Professor’s before but none to a great extent. “Why?” Patricia asked, suddenly curious as to why her mother asked.

“No real reason.” Anne said with a shrug. Biting her bottom lip she pondered before continuing. Now would be a good time, we’re on the subject. She thought to herself. She had never thought about how she was exactly going to tell Patricia about Kalif, but she was somewhat relieved that they had gotten on to the subject of him, maybe she could stir up casual enough conversation about him and see where it went? “So do you like Professor Styx?” Anne asked, sounding as casual as possible.

Patricia eyed her mother for a moment. She never took much interest in her Professors before, so why today? Shrugging it off as just conversation until the food arrived; Patricia decided to humour her mum. Nodding her head Patricia said, “Yeah he’s decent enough. A good Professor, but I don’t think he likes children too much.” She laughed, it was weird that he was a Professor but wasn’t keen on children, surely that was the first thing they had to tick to even get a job in teaching

Gerard listened to his daughter talk about her classes for the up and coming year. At the mention of the first class Gerard felt a knot in his stomach. It was cruel how fate had worked, surely she wouldn’t have her first class with him? It would be unfair, seeing as she would know by then. “Why do you say that?” Gerard asked at Patricia’s last comment. From what Anne had told him of their last meeting Gerard knew he was a father, to a few children. Whether he was a good father or not he did not know, all her knew was that Kalif would never accept Patricia as his own, and that suited Gerard just fine.

Patricia turned to face her daddy and leaned into rest on him. Once she was comfortable she continued, “Oh I don’t know, he’s very strict and has sort of cold vibe to him. He creeps a lot of people out.” Patricia said with a chortle. “But I don’t mind him. I mean I wouldn’t want to be best friends with him, but he’s a good Professor.” Patricia said, shrugging her shoulders.

Patricia wasn’t one to dwell on her Professor’s personal lives but taking past events into consideration Patricia found herself thinking about what Professor Styx was like with his family and his children. Seeing as he was now Joseph’s, well half brother-in-law, Patricia had found his personal live one of interest. Although Joseph was no good at spilling any information, he wasn't rather close to anyone on Nataliia's side of the family. "Anyway, why all these questions about Professor Styx?" Patricia asked, curiosity finally getting the better of her.

Gerard felt Patricia fall back against him, he wrapped his arms around here and for some reason it was then he knew that, somehow, everything would be OK. Well between him and Patricia anyway, he just hoped that the same could be said for Anne and Patricia’s relationship. But he had faith in his daughter that she would take it maturely as possible. Gerard listened to Patricia talk about Professor Styx and when he thought about it, he never did see him smile once at the wedding. When Patricia asked why they were asking so many questions he lifted his head to look at Anne and gave a small nod, now was the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back