Prejudice

Professor Manteia had held out hope that Bellatrix would be able to control her tongue, but had been almost expecting this type of reaction from the reckless, impulsive and immature girl before him. He had laid out only two rules for them at the beginning of this exercise and she had been unable to abide by one of them. Professor Manteia's wand hand reacted almost instinctively, intent upon silencing the girl, but he simply rested his hand on it and opted to use his words instead.

"Our lesson for today is now over." he said with cold finality as he rose from the table. "It is unfortunate that you have chosen to speak in such a manner in my presence. Each outburst like this undermines the progress you have made. In fact, you have done so well with the material that I had anticipated this being your last day of detention. However, as a result of your choice of language you will be required to return tomorrow at the same time to resume our conversation. In addition to reaching a conclusion on our understanding of prjudice, you should be prepared to explain to me why the use of offensive language detracts from what a person has to say."

Professor Manteia strode from the room under complete control of his emotions and knowing what he must do. He hoped that the two girls in the Great Hall would develop this ability or he would help them no further.
<i></i>

Bellatrix sighed and collapsed once more onto the benches. "Why must I always screw things up?!" she said in a loud annoyed tone. "This is all so confusing....I hate it...." After sitting there in silence for a moment, she quickly got up and hurried out of the great hall. She was headed for the common room, she had screwed today up, and knew one way to at least attempt to make it better. She didn't want Professor Manteia to lose hope in her, for she was really trying hard.

*** The Following Morning ***<i></i>

Professor Manteia entered the Great Hall for what he hoped was the final lesson with Bellatrix. He had sent a note to Athene to advise her that her presence was no longer required and hoped that she had learned a valuable lesson. Professor Manteia lowered himself into a chair and ordered breakfast for two from a house elf that had just appeared. He awaited the arrival of Bellatrix, interested to see whether the note she had left expressing regret at her previous day's behavior was sincere. He hoped, for her sake, that it was.
<i></i>

Moments later Bellatrix stode into the Great Hall. With neither pride nor shame upon her face, but more of a look of contempt and welcoming the days events, she soon arrived near the Professor. She did not say a word, but slowly sat down in a chair and waited for him to begin eithe a lecture or some type of kind statement. She was however very curious to if he had received her note. One thing she was sure of, was that she was for once truly at peace with trying to set things right for once.

"Good morning Miss Green." Professor Manteai stated cordially as he took a sip of coffee that had just arrived. "I received your note, thank you. I am hopeful that we can conclude our work today, do you feel that you are ready to do so?" he asked, curious to see whether she could commit to the task at hand.<i></i>

"Excellent." Professor Manteia replied as he took a sip of coffee. "I suppose I am interested in knowing only two things. The first is what you think the purpose of our last few day's work was. I would appreciate it if you would state what you truly believe as opposed to what you think I might wish to hear. It will make the whole exercise proceed much more quickly if you do."<i></i>

She looked at him for a moment then slowly began saying. "I believe that the purpose of the last few days was an attempt to...change my views....so that you would not have to return me to Azkaban. I know that....that I am not thought of highly by either Professor or Student, thus....you want to keep any besmirching of the name of Hogwarts to a minimum done by me....You also want me to 'learn' from my previous destruction..." She ended with a soft mumble, suprised at her honesty with the Professor.

Professor Manteia thought about Bellatrix's words, recognizing the difficulty that it must have caused her to speak them aloud. He looked at her closely, hoping to ascertain something from her reaction to his next words.

"While it is true that I wish for you to learn from your past actions, it has never been my intention to change your views. I believe that it is my duty to give you as broad a perspective on the world as possible so that you may determine for yourself what your views should be. Through no fault of your own, you have never had the opportunity to see anything but a narrow scope of the world around you and this has, in my opinion, been at the root of many of your problems. I hope that the last few days have proved beneficial in giving you some additional information with which to shape your understanding of the world around you." Professor Manteia stated sincerely.
<i></i>

"Though..." she softly began. "Your...lessons have begun to....open my mind....though in moments of temptation....I fail....it is so easy to revert to old ways....I am not a strong person....I am not strong enough for any of this...."

Professor Manteia regarded Bellatrix with a mix of an understanding and dismay. He did not like for his students to doubt in their ability to change or their strength. "Miss Green, there is a quote that I would like you to consider, if I remember it correctly it is stated something to this effect. Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. I believe that you are beginning to know yourself which is a step towards the strength that you seek.”

Professor Manteia paused to give Bellatrix an opportunity to digest what he had just said. "Now, the second thing that I wish to know is whether you feel that you are likely to express your prior views on blood prejudice again at this school." Her answer to this question would play a large part in determining how they were to proceed from here.
<i></i>

Bellatrix had trained her eyes upon Manteia, looking directly into his own. She listened with a full heart to each word he said, his quote seeping into her tough skin. Then slowly, trying to come up with the correct words she responded to his second question. "Professor...I am not sure what I may or may not do in the future....it depends on the trials and opinions I may face whether I express my....prior views...." She responded softly and honestly.

Professor Manteia lowered his gaze on Bellatrix. "It is my hope that you have developed a more complete understanding of the dangers of prejudice. It is reasonable for you to be unsure of your future actions, however it should be clear to you that there is no such uncertainty about what my actions will be should you disgrace the house of Slytherin again." There was a cold finality to Professor Manteia's words and he began to plate up his breakfast.

"Your detention is now over, please feel free to join me for breakfast or leave at your own discretion." Professor Manteia stated simply. He felt that the exercise had been successful, but as was usually the case, only time would tell whether a lesson had been learned or whether Bellatrix was destined to be a person who could not rise above the barriers that she faced.

<i></i>

"P-Professor...from what you had just said, I do not think you understood my correctly. I said I am unsure like you said of my future actions, but I have learned that a prejudice show....unfair....unjust actions. Thus....if ever caught again with such actions...I will be removed from the grounds...am I correct?" Bellatrix said still keeping the honesty in the voice, but letting her old sly self slip into some of her words such as the statement, 'if I get caught.' Leaving the implication that she could just be more careful to how she displays her actions.

Professor Manteia was a master of language and understood precisely what Bellatrix was implying, not only with her subtle inflection on the word caught, but also with her prior statement about being unsure of what she may or may not do in the future. He was also not inclined to commit to any decision without knowing the exact circumstances.

Despite the progress in their relationship, Professor Manteia was determined to let Bellatrix and any other student at the school know that prejudice and hate crimes would be dealt with severely. His brow furrowed and he narrowed his dark eyes upon the girl. "Let me assure you that any student that commits any act at this school that conveys a message of hate will not wish to remain on the grounds." The implication evidently being that they would wish to be as far away from him as possible.

Professor Manteia continued, "You made a colossal error in judgment at the end of last year, it would be regrettable for you to commit another." Professor Manteia was aware that he had not answered Bellatrix's question, but if she wished to force him to guess at the meaning of her words then she would be required to do the same of his.
<i></i>

"Professor Manteia looked at Bellatrix with an air of understanding. He, too, had made his share of errors. "Perhaps it is time for you to find a new specialty?", he said with the hint of a smile as he began eating.<i></i>

"I just don't know where to even begin...I have never liked anything!" she said with a light laugh, and she slowly began to pull the second breakfast plate towards her, and began to pick at the food, although she was extravagantly hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back