Prejudice

*** The Next Morning ***<i></i>

Professor Manteia returned to the Great Hall the following day, curious to see whether or not the two girls would return and what they would present if they did. He pushed open the large oak doors and was surprised at the scene before him. Bellatrix appeared to have fallen asleep in the midst of reading one of the larger volumes that he had left for her.

The Head of Slytherin stood motionless in the doorway, contemplating what this could possibly mean before ultimately, advancing silently into the hall. A house elf, as if sensing his presence, appeared and Professor Manteia requested that a full breakfast for three be prepared. He took a seat in one of the more comfortable armchairs from the head table, looking reflective and wondering when Bellatrix might stir and whether Athene would arrive at all.

<i></i>

Athene hadn't slept well that night. When Bella hadn't returned to the common room, she had begun to worry. Not for her friends safety, but that Bella might have done something foolish to get herself into even more trouble... so she was incredibly surprised to walk into the great hall (bleary eyed and with a huge yawn) and find her asleep over a book.

Professor Manteia was also there, although quite awake. "Good morning sir," said Athene in a somewhat hushed voice to announce her presence. She felt a little relieved, admittedly, that Bella was asleep. It meant that she could, to an extent, be herself, without worrying about what her friend might think.

<i></i>

Professor Manteia observed with mild interest as Athene wandered into the Great Hall to find Bellatrix in her current state. He wondered what Athene would make of the situation, recognizing that it might appear as though he had forced Bellatrix to remain all night as opposed to the reality of the situation.

"Good morning Miss Perthro.", he replied politely, not caring to keep his voice low for Bellatrix's sake. "I have just ordered some breakfast for us. I trust that you slept well.", he added, although by the looks of her this was likely not the case.
<i></i>

"Uh, fine," lied Athene, taking a seat on the opposite side of Bella. She tried, and failed, to stifle a yawn. She stretched and groaned, and was tempted to put her head and arms on the table and go back to sleep, but knew that she wouldn't get away with it.

For a moment, she contemplated Bella, who looked so eerily calm asleep, before turning to Manteia as a question sprung to mind.

"Professor, can I ask you something?" She paused for a second, but before her could reply she continued. "Did Bella, I mean... um. When Bella was a first year - well, any year really - did she... well-" she stopped, unsure herself what she was really trying to ask. How to word it? "Did she ever have any friends? I mean, proper friends... like - well - You must know her best, being her head of house, and well, I was wondering, uh... well, never mind..." She trailed off, her eyes now on her hands, which were resting on the table, and her cheeks a little flushed in embarrassment.
<i></i>

Professor Manteia considered Athene's question, but knew that he could not provide her with the answer she sought. "Actually, I joined the staff here at the beginning of Miss Green's second year so am unaware whether she forged any friendships during her first year of schooling. I don't believe it would be appropriate for me to comment on whether or not she did or even on whether she has made any since I arrived as only she would know the true nature of her relationships."

As he was finishing his response a house elf arrived with trays of toast, eggs, bacon, sausages, French Toast, potatoes, and a variety of fresh fruits and juices. "Please help yourself.", he stated as he gestured to the food, selecting some eggs, toast and fresh melon to start.

"Were you able to complete your assignment last evening?", Professor Manteia inquired, curious to see what Athene decided to make the focal point of her brief presentation.
<i></i>

ooc: Just to make this even more comical that it already is.

Bellatrix slept like a rock, not moving, appearing now as if she had died from the torture of having to read about mudbloods.

ooc: I was so close to making her snore.... *sigh*

OoC: You just don't want to do the work, Bella :p

Athene nodded, although it was a little stiff. She had scribbled a little down last night, before crashing out. A little. She fished the paper out of her pockets, and read alloud:

"Voldemort. Probbaly the most infamous name in Wizarding History, and also well known as one of the most racist wizards to live on our planet. Voldemort was prejudiced, and in turn racist, in the fact that he despised Muggle-Borns and Muggles. While Muggles are not, exactly, a seperate race to Wizards, I believe that Voldmort considered them so. So his actions were, for want of a better word, racist..."

She trailed off. All he'd asked was for an example, right? She didn't think it was susfficiant, but didn't care all that much. It looked as though Bella hadn't had the chance to prepare a thing.
<i></i>

Bellatrix had abruptly awoken at the beginning of Athene's little speech upon hearing the Dark Lords name. She instantly shot sitting upward and listened, a little peeved at the constant name usage. Sadly to say....that was good! Bellatrix though, actually impressed that for one thing Athene would say the Dark Lords name and also that she talked so....freely of muggles.

Professor Manteia had been wondering what Athene might decide to focus her presentation on, hoping that she might stretch herself a little beyond her own narrow vision of the world, but was not surprised that she would gravitate towards a known commodity. The use of Lord Voldemort as her example essentially met the criteria he had set for her and he was resigned to not push the issue at this stage in her development.

"Ah, good morning Miss Green. It is nice of you to join us. I trust that your night's work was productive, although I must say that you went beyond my expectations by spending the night.", he said in an almost cheerful tone as he began to plate up some food for himself. "Did you ultimately come across any interesting examples of prejudice that you'd like to share?"
<i></i>

Bellatrix quickly stood, almost tripping over the bench. "Yes....but a lot of them were muggle instances..."

"That was the intention actually. Perhaps we can draw some parallels between one of them and Miss Perthro's example.", he said, practically demanding something more detailed from her.<i></i>

"Well..." she began awkwardly. "In the 1890s in the United States of America...I found evidence of racial bigotry against people of color. These racial ideas lasted for many years probably up to teh early 1900s. They lynched, beated and did other sorts of vicious actions to these poor 'slaves.' Any crime that was committed was automatically assumed that a black person had committed them, and no 'white' person would be put even onto trial. If I 'white' was inevitably found out as a lead actor in a crime, it would be assumed that a 'black' would have then helped or put them up to the act. Many were mistreated...and this was a bad....thing....and a good example of prejudisim...." Bellatrix said sternly, soon becoming embarrassed that she had actually tried on the subject and allowed her words to fade off.

Athene blinked, and sat back. Bella was coming out with more and more surprises this year. She shook her head and smiled into her lap.
<i></i>

Bellatrix saw this movement suddenly out of the corner of her eyes, and shot Athene a sharp angry look. Don't you dare.... she thought darkly.

Athene hadn't seen Bella's look, and continued to look into her lap. She brought her hand up to her mouth in a loud yawn, but was unable to stifle it completely.
<i></i>

Professor Manteia listened to Bellatrix's words with interest. He was pleased to see that she had found an appropriate example of prejudice at one of its worst and most basic of forms. "So, paraphrasing what you have just said, am I to understand that you consider it a bad thing to mistreat someone solely on the color of their skin?"

Professor Manteia was cognizant of the incredibly sensitive nature of their discussion and hoped that the two girls continued to treat the subject matter with the respect that they had thus far shown.
<i></i>

Bellatrix shrugged, but slowly added a 'yes' nod within that, curious if the Professor actually saw her sensitive reaction to the subjects.

Professor Manteia perceived by Bellatrix's reaction that she had agreed with his statement. "How would you feel then if you were treated badly or judged unfairly solely on the fact that you are female?" he asked pointedly. <i></i>

Professor Manteia listened to Bellatrix's response with interest and was confident that she had been entirely truthful in her most recent response. "I am quite certain that you would Miss Green." Professor Manteia responded quietly. "Although I must confess that I am somewhat confused. Why would you react in that way? Certainly you must understand that some people view females as inferior to males. Shouldn't an individual who feels this way be allowed to act on their beliefs?" <i></i>

"I would react in this way, for I want to make them truly see that their assumptions were wrong, thus I would prove my true strength to them!" she said firmly. Well....yes....and no. Their belief is directed to a mass population....thus there is no true reason....though...everyone should profess their beliefs.....I don't know...." she said slowly letting the confidence in her voice fade for she was actually beginning to realize the hypocritical nature in her own actions and words. And this frightened her, to be so insightful to her self.

Professor Manteia recognized that Bellatrix was having some difficulty articulating her feelings and wanted to offer her something to consider. "It sounds as though you believe an individual should have confidence in their opinions and recognize that strength is unrelated to the color of a person's skin or their gender. If that is true, than we may have found something upon which we can both agree. Is this the case?" Professor Manteia asked sincerely.

<i></i>

Bellatrix slowly nodded, still trying to contemplate the complexity of the situation and trying to untangle the wild thoughts of her mind.

Professor Manteia took from Bellatrix's non-verbal response that she agreed in principle with his statement. He recognized that she was attempting to arrive at her own understanding of the subject matter and did not wish to batter her with his own beliefs, although he felt it was time to push this exercise towards its conclusion.

Professor Manteia spoke slowly and softly, a rare glimpse of understanding and compassion visible within his cold and authoritative glare. "I wonder how you might feel about mistreatment or discrimination based solely upon the house that you have been sorted into. While the Sorting Hat looks for basic commonalities or characteristics, would you consider all Ravenclaws to be intellectually superior to those sorted into the other houses? Do you believe all Gryffindors to be more courageous than the remainder of the students? Or would you consider each individual at this school to have their own unique abilities, interests, and potential?"

Professor Manteia knew that he was forcing Bellatrix into expressing her feelings on a very complex issue. He wondered whether she would react aggressively as she had done so consistently before when under pressure or whether she would recognize that he was aware of her internal struggle and be understanding if she had difficulty expressing her ideas and beliefs, particularly when they might be somewhat different from those she had been so committed to previously.
<i></i>

Bellatrix then burst out loudly, more confused and struggling than angry. "I guess they all are uniquely 'smart' to some point, but then why the hell are the houses all so different. I shouldn't be giving any of this sh!t a chance anyway....I was told not to....but now my emotion is interfering with my 'belief'... I am a f**king Slytherin for merlin's sake!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back