Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Movie Discussion

Ares Taylor said:
Finally the thing that really drove my crazy WTF was up with Snape seeing Harry before he kills dumbledore "shush!" and then he goes and kills him!!! WTF????
Not sure if you've read DH, but that's the whole point. :r:

Ok...I saw the movie earlier today and after thinking about it, I've finally decided that I think it ranks as one of the better HP movies made.

First off, I loved what we saw of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes! I especially loved the part where Ron is trying to get a "brother" discount on an item and the twins up the price. =))

I really liked the whole teen hormone thing. I loved seeing Ron and Hermione finally beginning to acknowledge their feelings for each other. I also loved the whole Cormac/ Hermione and the Dragon Balls. :lol: But...I didn't like Harry/Ginny. As someone pointed out earlier, I thought it was lacking in chemistry and it just didn't seem to work for me.

Another thing I really liked were the memories in the Pensieve. Although I would have loved to see Merope and the Hokey memory, I do think that they showed the two most essential memories. But...I didn't like that Dumbledore said that Horcruxes could be any old common object. :doh: Not true! In the books, they specify that Voldemort would go after significant items to make them into horcruxes and I don't think that was given enough weight in the film.

I actually liked that the Burrow ended up on fire because it was Bellatrix who did it (I adore Helena Bonham Carter- she is so awesome!! :p ). To me, it seems to be setting up the finale in Deathly Hollows when Molly will be able to exact revenge and give her famous line. Seeing this scene in the film sets that up even more so than it would have been had this scene not been in this film. Now, I can't wait to see Molly kill Bellatrix!

I thought Tom Felton was great in this movie. He was desperate, looked stressed out and worried and as if he really had no choice. Awesome job! Snape did a great job too. The person I missed the most was Neville :( . Yes, he was in a few scenes but he wasn't in the non-existent battle scene (which I would have loved to see),which to me helps to solidify his loyalty to Harry, Ron and Hermione and prepares him for his big scene in Deathly Hallows.

Overall, I guess I understand why the filmmakers left out what they did. I did like the movie, but this is the one book where so much gets explained that I simply would have liked to see more.

I personally am really upset that there was no fight scene at the end...how are they going to introduce Bill and Fleur in the next movie when they get married? are they just going to ignore bill in the entire thing??

I know!! I thought Ron would at least mention something...anything...at the end about Bill and Fleur.

I loved it. my two favorite charictors were definitely luna and belatrix her dancing along the tables was brilliant, but they have always been my favorite in the films (well since they first appeared). i thought that slughorn should have been played by steven fry, it wasn't thought that he was bad, i just thought steven fry would soot it better. i felt like most of the important bits were there. however a couple of key bits were missing.
1. any mention of bill and fleaur(sp?)
2. the battle inside hogwarts (i think that the burrow scene was probably inserted of bit it would have been better at hogwarts)
3. dumbledore telling harry what he suspects the hallows to be
however i feel like it is a lot closer to the plot than many of the previous films.
i thought that the animation was brilliant. especially in the opening sequence. and that would have been awesome in 3D (which i believe that it was shown in in some cinemas but not the one i went to). i think that draco was good, and that he looked slightly stoned most of the time, but they could have seen him fixing the cabinet rather than just sending stuff back and forward from it, as if it worked then why get all stressed. all in all i think that it was an awesome movie.

Hi guys,
Just watched it last nite and I think it's the best in the Series although I love Chamber of Secrets too.
I think the photography and the sound effects were gorgeous you know the way the inferi came out, it was like so scary although I knew that was going to happen.

Even in the muggle world part when the DE's are zooming around, its like you feel you will fall out of you seat!!

I loved the acting when Dan was under the luck potion. I loved Tom Riddle's part.
Snape was as always, brilliant. Snape is my hero
Draco was handsome and I couldn't believe he was crying

I didn't like two things

~First, the burning of the burrow.Where are all those people going to live? That was no need and in all that Tonks had very little part. they could have shown something between her and lupin.

~Second thing was that in the last part when they say the horcurx is fake and all that, RON dosn't have a single line there. That is like if he is dumb just listening to them. They could have made him say that they were to attend the wedding or something

Apart from that it was brilliant loved it, cant stop thinking about it
All the teenage love thing was very nice, although I would have liked to see them kiss in the Common room

Cormac was handsome and the things between her and hermione was very nice

The thing that touched my heart was when all of them raised their wands to give respect to Dumbledore. Loved it

Now, I wait for the DVD to be realsed.

I went and saw it again last night and I suppose the big thing that I noticed is: it is all foreshadowing the events of the next two movies. To understand and appreciate it properly, you have to know what happens in the 7th book. I suppose it leaves a lot of mystery if you haven't read the book...but yeah, there is a lot of filler in this one.

Nevertheless, I really did like it. The scene with the Inferi scared me even more the second time round, if that's even possible (I seriously jumped in my seat and nearly screamed, although I was mentally preparing myself) and the Ron/Hermione relationship was so sweet and you just want to be like "oh come on you two, just make out already!". Harry/Ginny does, sadly, lack chemistry, but meh.
I'd have liked more explanation for Remus/Tonks, like many have said, but the movie was long enough as is. And yeah, it is a long movie.
I just started re-reading the book cause I'd forgotten most of it and needed reminding. Why did they throw that scene with the girl in there? Showing Harry has a libido? He's supposed to be all hung-up on Ginny but then he keeps checking out other girls...like that scene with Romilda Vane.
Hmm. Second time around I found a lot more flaws, it seems. Haha.
The love potion, Felix Felicis and Inferi scenes are all amazing, though, kudos to the director for that.
I rather liked the movie, but you can't help but notice that really, it is basically filler for the 7th movie(s). Although it does set up some important plot points...there was a lot of foreshadowing, too.
Regardless, I enjoyed it second time round, even if I did notice more flaws. It's a good movie. :)

I liked the movie as much as everyone else here BUT: I can't believe they left out the battle scene at the end, where the Order of the Phoenix takes on DEs. Ron doesn't mention Bill and Fleur's wedding at all. I think I would've rather seen Dumbledore's funeral then the wand-thing. It would have been a million times more emotional and it could have given us an impression for the next films, of Dumbledore's grave, when Voldemort comes to get the Elder Wand...

Other than that though it was bloody brilliant!

It is interesting that the wand is left on his desk. Foreshadowing?

ok.. originally I was going to do the whole... 3 trillion word long recount of why this movie was brilliant. But I would rather focus this down to a few things I LOVED (apart from the whole movie of course)

The scene where harry drinks the luck potion. Simply brilliant. Harry potter rather annoys me at times. Maybe its something to do with the fact that he simply cannot duel half the time and has no idea what he's doing =-/ ANYWHO. With this all doubts were cleared. Brilliancy.

especially passing professor slughorn "Harrrrry"... "Siiiiiirr" =))
Which brings me to another point. Does professor slughorn has a killer raised eyebrow or what? =))

And lastly.. Dumbledore's part. Dumbeldore to me is.. Well.. not to go all mushy on you guys. But he is the most favorite and meaningful character to me. As I never knew my dad and I always saw my grandfather as taking that position.. With the similar situation for harry I see Dumbledore symbolizing as my grandfather. Anyway.. So.. Watching Dumbledore in his last moments.. I balled. No other word for it. Every moment that he played I thought was brilliant. The humor.. the seriousness.. Everything. Though... I still would have rather the movie to end after Dumbeldore's death tribute thing.

I found the movie over all disappointing. Special effects and the Inferi were awesome. And the beginning was a thriller, but it went downhill from there.
Bellatrix owned though.

Probably should rant about it in my blog when I have the time.

I'd firstly like to say this film was awesome one of my favourites :D =D> But my all time favourite is chamber of secrets :D . But anyway back to HBP.

Basically Tom Felton (Draco) really made this film for me, he is one of my favourite characters and he did a superb job 8-> :wub: . I dont think Draco has had a very biggish role in any of the Harry Potter films so i think it was nice that he had this one :) . I agree with everyone that the bathroom scene was amazing it was so well acted by both Tom and Dan =P~ .My other favourite scene was when Draco and Dumbledore are in the astronomy tower, that scene really moved me. It was really believable about how much pressure Draco was under and how he didnt want to die ;'(

Another reason why this film was amazing was because of snape, he is another one of my favourite characters and i think his acting was great in this one although he didnt get much screen time. In the other films he had a lot more lines, but the lines he did have were acted amazingly. I think that they should of done one of Snape's lessons though since its the position he's always wanted :erm:

I would of liked to see the Gaunts house memories and the hokey memory but because of the time limit they had i think the memories that they did show were great. I cant beleive that Tom Riddle would of looked like that at Harry's age :-0

The dumbledore dying part was done beautifuly, i've watched it twice now and it still gets to me, even my friend started crying and she never cries. I think that the wand raising was good although i would of liked to see the actual funeral.

My favourite part in the film has to be when Harry has the Felix Felicis, and when he goes down to Hagrids and aragogs dead. I love it when he makes the pincers movement and the clicking noise. The whole cinema was in stitches :)) =)) . Even though this film was pretty dark i loved the humour in it. Especially when Ron has the love potion it was so funny.

I thought the way they portrayed Ron and Hermione's relationship was great. It showed how jealous Hermione was and how she actually did have feelings for ron. My heart went out to her, =(( .But the Lav/ won won relationship was really funny, my favourite part of that was when she blew on the glass and drew R & L in a heart ^_^ .

The quidditch was good in this film, i liked the tryouts and cormac mclaggen :wub: . He was a great supporting actor. Harry/Ginny relationship? the less said about that the better :)

I wish that Harry had hid that book like it said in the book because then he would of seen the diadem which is the horcrux which sets it up for the next film.

This Film OWNED it was awesome i now want to see it again after writing this :p .

Here's my quickie review of the movie from the begining to the end!
I've seen it several times!

1.) I like the begining alot I thought it was done excellently.
2.) I didn't really like the Ginny/Harry thing because I did feel like it was rushed a bit...(especially since they weren't going to have them end up together at the end of the movie...)
3.) I loved the Burrow Scene! I thought it was a brilliant addition to the movie, I don't think the point of the Death Eaters was to attack the Weasley or even to take their home.. I think the point was to show the Weasley's just how vulnerable they truly are and how scary the world is now (while showing the audience as well) I absolutely loved how in the begining and during the burrow scene Bellatrix taunted Harry "I killed Sirius Black, Are you coming to get me!?" I think it really showed how messed up her character is!
4.) Tonks hair not changing was a bit wrong but easily explainable 1.) she could be trying to act more grown up for Lupin who is several years older or 2.) maybe she is depressed because she knows the Death Eaters are winning...
5.) The little things in the movie was rather enjoyable, such as Ollivander getting kidnap or more to the point seeing that Madam Bones had gone missing! saw that the fifth time I'd watch the movie!
6.) I overall enjoyed everything in the movie, especially Harry on Drugs or Felix Filicius depending on how you wanna spin it XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back