Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Movie Discussion

Dannie Bennington-Heaton

Wand
14 inches, cedar, floo powder
I'm actually pretty surprised there wasn't one of these up already! I don't know about you guys, but I was there at midnight in full costume (click to view said costume: ooh look, I'm a link! click me!).

So my question to all of you is this: What did you think? Are you satisfied with what they took out/added? Did they do the deed right (you know what I'm talking about there)? What did you think about the sudden dramatic appearance of the dating/romance theme? Talk to me!
I think overall the movie was really great! I think the stuff they took out was fine, everything that was left out was okay to leave out. I didn't really like how the death eaters set fire to just about everything but perhaps that was to set us up for Deathly Hallows? I don't know. They definitely killed Dumbledore to my satisfaction and I actually liked what they did as a tribute to him with the wands way better than I would have enjoyed watching the funeral. I mean, reading the funeral was great but I liked watching what they did so much better. I think the teen hormone theme was appropriate to add considering there was the relationships with Harry/Ginny and Won-Won/Lav-Lav but I think there was more of it than there was in the book. Overall, I was very satisfied. And I cried a lot.

My thoughts: I thought it was BRILLIANT. Best one yet! 'Nuff said.

Just kidding, I'll go into detail.
I agree with you, everything that they left out (which wasn't much really) was good and I'm so glad they included small details (like Hermione sending the canaries at Ron! :wub: and Luna wearing the lion hat! :wub: ) because it makes me feel like the producers are saying "Hey look, we're not forgetting that this was first and foremost a book series and we're including your little details" :lol:

I loved how they explained the vanishing cabinets, the horcruxes, the Unbreakable Vow, the room where everything gets lost (though they just called it the Room of Requirement which kinda annoyed me <_< ) etc because honestly, I was afraid that they weren't going to explain it right for fear of them thinking "Oh the audience has already read the books, they'll know what this means" etc but I know that even my sister who's never read the books would understand---that was what I was most pleased about.

I think the romance thing was well played from the very first scene of Harry asking that girl out ( :wub: ). I just don't like Harry/Ginny even in the books so I won't say anything about that.

I thought the Death Eaters burning the Weasley house was COMPLETELY pointless because there was NO reason for them to be there! They didn't attack anyone! They should've left that scene out. -_- Although Molly crying broke my heart a little bit. ;'(

I didn't like that they didn't re-introduce Tonks. If I didn't read the books I would've just thought she was a random-ish person. And they skipped all the emo-y stuff between her and Remus and just got them together "Come on sweetheart" so if they skipped all her moping around, WHY did she change her appearance to be so depressing?! You know what I mean?

The scene of Dumbledore's death and them putting up their wands was beautiful, it gave me chills and I got teary-eyed. Much better than the book funeral.

Other than that, I thought it was amazing. The cinematography was GREAT!! My absolute favorite scene of all was a transition scene where Hermione is crying over Ron/Lav and Harry's comforting her, then the camera turns around the same tower and they show Ron/Lav making out, then the camera turns even more around the same tower and Draco is at the top being all dark and evil! GAH IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! ^_^

Okay, I definitely agree on a lot of things you said!
[ul][li]I, too, was glad they left in tiny details such as the canaries (I squeed at my friend when they did that right. my favorite part of the book)</LI>
[li]Harry asking that girl out was absolutely perfect in every single way. loved it! Dumbledore kinf of creeped me out when he showed up, though. I knew he was going to, but it still seriously creeped me out.
[li]How they explained things was perfect. I'll be fine taking my boyfriend to see the movie because he'll understand a lot of it!! Well, I won't have to explain it as much.
<LI>[li]Death eaters + burning The Burrow = epic fail. They shouldn't have had that in there. Seeing Molly cry made me seriously bawl like a baby. Though, that also happened when Hagrid was upset about Aragog and when Dumbledore died. [/li][/ul]

I am going to add more bits to my review because I was reminded of a bunch of stuff while at dance. The Felix scene was priceless. "Harry!" "Professor!" "You can't possibly expect me to let you wander the grounds alone. It's almost nightfall." "then come with me!"
and
"Don't forget the pincers. *clicking noises*"
It was just great!!!!!

I loved how they did the memories. They were colored amazingly and they were well crafted. They definitely made me smile a lot. And little Tom is a cutie-pie, albeit a creepy one.

Bella was portrayed amazingly, as usual. I just love her.

OK the whole Felix part was bloody amazing, Daniel played that so well, it was so funny =)) The one liners was so great, his facial expressions, everything. The whole cinema were in fits of laughter =)) My fav part.

I have to say I love, love LOVED the movie. And I am never fully happy with any Harry Potter movie. Yes they are all amazing but it really erks my with some of the things they leave out, and I know there were things that they left out in this movie, but it really didn't bother me. It was definately made up with some of the things that were left in. Although I would have liked to see some more Harry/Ginny stuff in there, I really like that couple, but everything was just so awkward between them in the movie. I do think they brought the whole Hermione/Ron part forward a bit more than in the book, it may just be me, but Hermione was never that jealous in the books, or at least she never let Harry know. The only part I would have really liked to have seen was teh funeral. Yes, what they did in the movie (the whole wand part was beautiful) but I would have liked to seen it. My friend said the ending sucked, but it was quite nice, a perfect way to start the next one ^_^ But yes a overall great movie, so cannot wait until the last one comes out,

Firstly I thought the movie was awesome! :woot:

Details on my opinion. :lol:
Firstly I agree with Abby. I was TOTALLY outraged about the Tonks thing. My friend who has only seen the movies was kind of like.. Sweetheart? When did this happen? :unsure: Then I was outraged because it wouldnt have been hard to have a few minutes of backup on that situation. :oy: But otherwise, I LOVE REMUS/TONKS! :wub:

I think the humour in the movie was one of the reasons it was so great. Harry taking the Felix Felices was BRILLIANT! I laughed so much. :wub2: "SIR!" =))

Ron and Lavender. Couldnt have asked for more. They were brill! Im a hopeless Rupert Grint fan and think he did an awesome job and once again the love potion scene was classic humor. :wub:

Draco I think made this movie for me. The acting was AMAZING! He did such a great job at portraying the book Draco I was so proud of Tom Felton. :lol: My original thought was that he wasnt going to do a good job, but I was so impressed with the way he expressed his emotions. Bathroom scene! :frantics: :wub:

Okay this in itself needs a paragraph. SNAPES FACE WHEN HE KILLED DUMBLEDORE WAS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. It was seriously probably my favourite part of the movie. It was seriously awesome. SERIOUSLY! :woot:

Im not impressed with Narcissa. I think its the black in her hair. :doh:

LOVE FENRIR! :rofl:

Ginny destroyed the movie for me. Im sorry, but she did. =-/ I thought she did a crap job and I just couldnt feel the chemistry at all. I almost didnt understand it. One minute she is just Ron's little sister the next minute her and Harry love each other? I think it was a bit rushed.

I agree with the Molly part, I was like. Noooo not the burrow, thats everyones home. :frantics: But yes that part was fail. I would have liked to see the house of Gaunt instead. *nods*

Quidditch = Uber Win!

And I should probably shut up now. :lol: But I LOVED the movie regardless of its flawes because DUH its Harry Potter! :frantics:

Wait why are we putting everything in spoilers, if anyone reads this thread and hasn't seen the movie yet, their lose, it says spoiler alert :rofl:

So yes, OMG TONKS :frantics: I love her but really she needed more than what 10 words in the whole movie. I love her, her voice, her dress sense, she is a great character :wub: And I agree her and Lupin needed more of a back story like in the book. The first I said to Chris when I got in the car was about Tonks, he said she should have changed her hair colour more :lol: Which she should have ^_^

Yes! The whole Harry/Ginny thing was so awkward :doh:

And Fenrir, for what he did was great but srsly, he needed more of an important role in the movie. He played a bigish part in the book, he, like Tonks, needed more screen-time and actual dialouge or something :doh:

But then again, I suppose time restriants have to be taken into consideration and for the time limit they had, it was a bloody amazing movie ^_^

Yeah I agree with Fenrir, he should have had more on screen time. But he is almost exactly how I imagined him in the books which is why I love him. :lol: :wub:

I also couldnt help but feel let down that Neville didnt do... anything in this movie. Did he even have a line? :( I love Neville!

:frantics: I cant stop raving about this movie. I must go see it again! :frantics: Perhaps Ill go tonight. =))

Neville was the waiter at the Slughorn Xmas party :p OMG that scene was brillant, behind the curtain then Snape came in when it was just Harry and Cormack =))

Me and Chris are defo going to see it again, but not for sometime, so the cinema was be less crowded ^_^

I LOVED Cormack's flirty eyes and dirty-ish gestures at Hermione during the Slug party =))

Yeah they obviously tried to condense a lot during the movie so I understand that some things were rushed but if they were going to add a pointless scene like burning the Burrow then they should've at least explained the Tonks/Remus thing there to make the scene not so pointless!

ZOMG yes Harry drinking the luck potion was hilarious!!! =))

Yes Taylor I agree with you, Ginny ruined it for me but that's just cuz I don't like her character. As random as Harry's crush was in the books, it was in the movies. :oy: I wish Harry would've at least acted more jealous when seeing her/Dean. I mean, Ron was brilliant :wub: but Harry seemed like he barely even cared!

Aw but the scene at the Burrow when Harry is about to arrive and then one by one they all open the doors and say "Did someone say Harry was here?" it was so cute! ^_^

Also the whole love potion thing with Ron (Rupert Grint is AMAZING! :wub: ) was hilarious as well though my boyfriend said that because of all the humor during the love potion, when he actually got poisoned was kinda lost. Like, it took too long for people to realize "Oh snap he's in trouble" and I wish they would've made it more obvious that Harry got the bezoar tip from the book.

Fenrir was creepily awesome! Though the only hint at him being a werewolf was his hairy face huh? =-/

The Ron/Hermione scene in the Hospital wing was my favorite! I was squeeing like such a fangirl that I am :rofl: :wub:

I'm DEFINITELY seeing it again! :D

well you've pretty much said it all so I'll throw in my two cents...

I loved it, I did. The ending not so much - I really thought the tribute to Dumbledore was naff. sorry =-/

ttly agree with the burning of the burrows -pointless.
There was so much I thought they left out that they shouldn't have, if they had gone into more detail in the last movie concerning Harry and Ginny it mightened have been so 'robotic' in this one. I would have preferred it if they had kissed in the common room after the quidditch game like they were supposed to.

Harry after taking the liquid luck - priceless - I ttly loved that entire scene. It actually showed me that Daniel could actually act, have always thought he was way too wooden in the movies.
Ginny was really badly acted this time around.

Lavender was brilliant - felt so sorry for Hermione but she got the guy in the end - thank cripes for that =))

Cormac to me was just the funniest

for downright devilish goodlooks - I was glued to Blaze :wub: ZOMG I want to see more of him :lol:

Bellatrix didn't disappoint once but kept thinking Lola everytime she appeared =))

thought the guy who played teenage Tom Riddle was deliciously creepy, his eyes so freaked me out.

Hated that they left out the entire Remus/Tonks situation as well =-/
I was honestly under the impression that they were making this book into a two part movie, which I think they should have done instead of condensing it all the way they did.

I so got the creeps when Fenrir showed up :woot:

The movie was awesome, plain and simple. As for making a two part, i believe they were only doing that for the Deathly hollows never this one >.<
But all in all, it was super, Dumbledore's death was something that had the entire Cinema captivated and the humor in it was placed in the right places, the seriousness in the right and the sad in the right. Great direction for a great movie.

Severus Snape, i must say made the movie though ;)

Arwen Pentreath said:
for downright devilish goodlooks - I was glued to Blaze :wub: ZOMG I want to see more of him :lol:
OMG YES! Blaise Zabini right?! He was gorgeous!!!! All I kept thinking whenever the Slytherins were on was "Wow, he's pretty =P~ " :lol:

I don't know, Snape always got my vote in every other movie but this time around he was nearly as wooden as Ginny. Maybe it was his new hairstyle - he just didn't seem the same Snape from all the other movies.

Blaze = :wub: =))

and there were definitely write ups that the last two books were going to be two parters.
The first part was supposed to have been out last November and the second released 6 mnths later. I felt as if they just condensed it all down in the end.

did enjoy Draco a lot too - ooooh when he kicked Harry in the face :doh: ouch felt it and cringed. He was a better actor in my view than Snape was in this one.

Well after seeing it last night after a wait of a year, I thought the film was epically awesomesauce! :woot: Some little scenes of course were not as amazing as the others such as The Attack on the Burrow- Why oh why?? :oy: I thought that Professor Slughorn (Jim Broadbent) portrayed Slughorn's character superbly. :lol: The cockiness of Harry after taking Felix Felicis was very funny. I thought that the ending was quite poor. I would have liked to see Dumbledore's funeral, but the Directors said it didn't feel right or whatnot. Of course I would have like to see more memories but I think that the 2 that were chosen were done very well. :D The cave where they found the Horcrux was utterly fantastic. I thought that Michael Gambon also played Dumbledore superbly, (like usual) and even portrayed him more humorous and more down to Earth than usual. In this movie it described the closeness between Harry and Dumbledore and it was done very well. Dumbledore seemed to me, more human than usual. :nick: I thought that just before Ron got poisoned was lolage material and he was funny when he was keeper in the Quidditch Match. I thought that Fenrir Greyback was good in his few scenes, as was Bellatrix. Was it me or was Filch weirder than usual? :wut: :wacko: In the book, Dumbledore's death was a real blow... but in the movie it wasn't really that big a shock to me.. maybe because I knew he was going to die.. IDK =-/ Just when Harry casts a spell at Snape and Bellatrix blocks it, knocking Harry off his feet= Epic Fail for Harry. God that was rofl. I thought the dialogue was just a bit weak in some parts. Like in the trailers, such as when Dumbledore says "You have no choice. You must not fail" in the trailers to me, that is a truly powerful line, while in the film when he says it, to me it was just like normal conversation. Maybe because the trailers are at a faster tempo :unsure:

Well theres my review of Harry Potter. Alas now the countdown till Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 >XO<

Cormack was definitely brilliant! trying to be sneakily dirty and just failing epically. He was just... bad. in every way. My favorite gag concerning him was when Hermione used the confundus charm on him during tryouts and then Harry pretended to use felix on Ron. Ron owned on his own. Hermione freaking out was really funny, though.

And I forgot to mention it earlier but going back to what Ms. Chaos said alllll the way back in post # 2, the cinematography was definitely absolutely perfect! I loved all of it from the scene going from Harry and Hermione at the base of the tower to Lavender and Ron kissing midway up the tower to Draco in a different tower being all angsty. It was perfect! And I really loved the pan of the great hall the morning after Dumbledore was killed and the Death Eaters went and broke everything in there. That was fantastic! All if it was just amazing.

Oh! Can't forget Fenrir. he was played amazingly. And was also exactly what I imagined him as. I knew who he was immediately upon seeing him and my friend, who is a huge Dark Forced fan looked at me and was like "uhh, Dannie, who in god's name is that?!" It was funny. he did an excellent job.

Okay, hi.

Me and my friend have just come back from watching it and we think it rocked our socks!!
I agree with alot of what everyone has alredy said.
First, Tom Felton/Draco was fabulous, :wub: The bathroom scene was awesome. The felix part was absolutley brilliant, I was cracking up at the way he said it all and the look on his face as he did, priceless.

Another thing I foud great was the bit i the cave when Harry leant into to get the water and the hand grabbed him, It's not often you get a moment in a film that manages to make the whole audience jump at the same time. Everyone in the room gasped at the same time ad jumped out of their seats, everyone was laughing afterwards about it, even though the scene we were watching was kinda sad.

There were quite a few bits I didn't like though. The fire, as alot of people have said, was pointless. I thik it was done quite well but there was no reason for it though the look on Molly's face made me melt inside. Also, Ginny, I do't think it was the best acting she's done and it didn't feel like there was anything between her and harry to be honest. I also thought that Dumbledores death, while it was sprt of how i imagined it, it wasn't very dramatic.

I think some of my favourite parts would definatley be when Harry had taken the felix, when Rons' taken the love potion and falls off of the back of slughorns sofa, The mince pie scene and the scene just before the bathrooom one. I think that bit in the hall was great and the look on Draco's face was perfect.

All in all I think it was pretty fantastic though I was a bit confused when it didn't show Tom Felton's name in the credits.

I've just got back from seeing the film with my mate (the person above) and I think it was more amazing than words could say.

I find it absolutely amazing that everyone in our cinema (especially me) could jump off their seats at the exact same time. When that happened I was laughing so much at it. It was the bit when the corpses hand suddenly shoots out of the water at Harry in the cave.

I think Tom Felton looked so cute in the bathroom scene :wub: and he played the part so well.

Also Helena Bonham Carter was great in the scene setting the burrow on fire and at Snape's house and in the astronomy tower. I loved that new scene. It was splendiferous!

I loved the bit where Ginny gives Harry a mince pie then Ron sits in between them with a whole plate full and goes "Pie??" and I also like the bit where he's under the love potion and he fell off the back off the sofa :)) .

The casting for Slughorn was great. im Broadbent plays the part brilliantly and I never thought he'd be able to play it that well.

I don't like the way Tonks was in the film. In the bookit's loads better because she has a more quiet love for Remus but in this one it's out there for the world to see.

The fight scene could have had more in it because all it was really was Dumbledore's death then Harry going after the death eaters and Draco. There wasn't any of the fighting that J.K. put in the book and Bill still hasn't been introduced in the films so he never got attacked by Fenrir.

ttly agree with you Shaylah, it was like vital parts were left out which leaves you to wonder how they will introduce any of these points and facts for the nxt book or if they'll even bother?

the more I think about the Harry and Ginny bit makes me think of when Hermione is talking to him in the library and telling him that the girl is only into him because he's the chosen one...

another classic Harry line from that movie; "but I am the chosen one" =))

anyways the way Ginny was with Harry you could very well have said the same thing about her - "Oh she's only with him coz he's the chosen one or coz he's HP!" there really was no emotion or chemistry there. I mean the tying of his shoelace? :blink: :huh: get a life please Ms Ginny :p

Just got back from the movie.
I don't see why you're all so impressed.
Mediocrity at its finest right there. -_-

Nick, would you care to elaborate?

I went and saw it a seocnd time today and for those of us who are disappointed that Necville wasn't there, there is hope! I knew what was going on and what to expect to i paid attention to little details this time, like counting the number of times Neville is in a scene or another. I had an hour of dance so currently the only thing running through my head is "leap, lame duck, prep, pirouette, drop, push up" but he was on screen at least 7 or 8 different times, though he only had lines in the one section where he offered Harry a drink.

And I will somewhat agree with you guys about Ginny's acting. There were parts that were good, though. I really liked her when we first see her, when she picks the book up off of the couch, turns around and SURPRISE there's Hedwig. And then she calls for her mother and then there's the whole stair conversation. That was absolutely hilarious and had me in stitched both times. But I think Bonnie did fairly well in those scenes.

Hermione Granger: [snaps her fingers] Hey, she's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One.
Harry Potter: But I am the Chosen One.
Hermione Granger: [smacks him on the head with the newspaper]
Harry Potter: Sorry... kidding!

I agree with Nick.
Sure, I've never liked the films.
I wouldn't say it's the worst one I've ever seen, but it was so choppy.
There were a few good moments, but meh.
And the burning of the burrow, WTF?
Okay, I had to take my little brother to the toilet for the first half of the scene and I come back and they're standing in the field and I wasn't paying too much attention to the dialogue 'cos I was trying to get my little brother to shut it ( he's 4 :oy: ) and yeah, but suddenly, the burrow is on fire. :lol:
Then it skips straight back to Hogwarts :unsure:
I don't think I would have really understood it if I hadn't read the books, but no one else I went with ( my friend -_-, my mum and my two little brothers (4 & 8) ) had read them, and apparently they all understood enough of it to get what was happening. Well, asides from my other little brother but that's understandable :p

Overall, not the best Potter film, but not the worst. -_-

I watched the very first showing here in Ireland, got up at eight in the morning to do so, and I agree whole-heartedly that the Burrow scene was utterly pointless. It had no contribution to the story whatsoever.

I thought the CG was absolutely amazing though, I thought I should mention how utterly fantastic the cinematography was as the Death Eaters were flying through London ... and the BRIDGE. Oh my god, that was breath-taking.

I couldn't stop crying at the end when Dumbledore died, and the tribute was so touching, and when I left the cinema, my friends were all going back to mine, but I was depressed the whole day, so they didn't have much of a good time.

But LOL at the Felix Felicis scenes. I actually whacked my friend in the face from squee-ing so much, haha.

Yeah i thought a few things are good, but most of it i thought was crap..

Starting with the scene at the Burrow... made no sense... very stupid scene

Ron under the Love potion... I know, i know thats what its meant to be like, but me and my friends nearly got kicked out for laughing too hard when it first showed his face, he looked like he was on a toilet!! he looked beyond obsessed... was odd

And I thought Hermione looked too pretty

Finally the thing that really drove my crazy WTF was up with Snape seeing Harry before he kills dumbledore "shush!" and then he goes and kills him!!! WTF????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back