Closed The Paths Life Takes Us

Charlie just rolled his eyes. "I wasn't offering to be his dad," He teased, giving his dad an easy smile. "But he's mine too, you know. I don't mind looking after him here and there. He's my brother- I wanna hang out with him." He chuckled, keeping Caspian in his arms. "Besides, you still have to romance mom sometimes, right? I can steal him for a weekend a month or something so you guys can have some time together."

Celestyn knew that Charlie hadn't been offering it, but he didn't want him to think anything close to it either. That he had to pitch in to help. "You're going to be a great big brother," he replied warmly. "Caspian will be very lucky to have you," he said before nodding. "I'll speak to Cassi about it, but I'm sure that'll be fine," he said, thinking that he wouldn't agree to anything without Cassi but that it would be good.

Charlie smiled. "Of course I will," He nudged his dad. "I had a great man in my life to show me how to be a good man myself," He gave his dad a fond smile. "So! We've got a new baby, what's next?" He asked. "We're going to need a bigger place, aren't we? Or should I find my own apartment and let the little guy have my room?" He questioned. "I don't mind sharing and taking some night shifts while I look."

Celestyn gave a little smile and shrugged, "The little man will be in mine and Cassi's room to begin with," he said. "You don't have to worry about quickly moving or anything, it'll be a bit of time until we really have to think about a bigger place," he said. He liked the place he had, he had raised Charlie there. "And we can always use a little magic if we need to. You just, do what feels right, for and to you,"

Charlie nodded. "I was thinking of finding a place with a roommate," he offered. "You know how expensive new york apartments can be." He laughed lightly, giving his fussing baby brother his finger. "When can we see mom?" He asked, going back to an earlier subject.

Celestyn nodded, "That I do," he said with a little smile. "If you need any help with finding a place, or financing a place, let me know, I have some money set aside for you and for exactly this," he told him, having always looked to make Charlie's life easy. "When she's awake again, right now she just needs time to rest, it was fine, but birth takes a lot out of a person,"

Charlie blinked. "You do?" He asked, before laughing lightly. "Did I mention you're the best?" He countered. He rocked his baby brother gently in his arms. "What about Caspian? Do you have a new account set up for him?" He asked, curious how prepared his dad was. A thought occured to him then and he chuckled again. "You didn't have a school account set up that my scholarship thwarted, did ya?" He teased the man with a playful wink. He shifted in his seat, readjusting the little blanket around his brother. "I mean, she grew this adorable little chunk, that had to be a lot of work," He laughed, in a great mood with the baby in his arms.

Celestyn smiled fondly at his eldest son, "Caspian will get his own account, and I'll start putting money aside for him too," Celestyn said. "You know I always want both you and now your brother to never have to worry about money coming first, your dreams are more important," Celestyn told him with a fondness. He knew that it was just a leg up that was helpful and necessary. "It did, but you can't imagine how proud I am of you, in getting the scholarship. That money though, that was set aside is still yours, you can just use it to help you buy a place or when you want to get married," he said. Celestyn laughed softly and then nodded. "Holding your brother isn't making you want a baby of your own, right?" he teased softly.

Charlie let his dad go on, not wanting to mess with the account at the moment and ignoring it. He instead chose to just laugh at the mans comment. "The only baby I need in my life is this one," He countered, rocking Caspian gently. "I have too much on my plate right now for anything other than babysitting duties,"He gave his dad a playful wink. "If anyone's going to have a baby, it'll probably be Eugene and his girl, since you know, they have the option of 'accidental' which is about 80% more effective than the solo act I'm rocking," He laughed.

Celestyn hoped that Charlie would find someone at some point. His son, his eldest son was still alone a lot of the time. he knew it was probably a little better now he was living with his friend, but didn't make the loneliness he felt probably more acute. "Someone will come along for you soon, I'm sure of it," he assured Charlie with a little smile. "But I'll be glad to not be a grandpa yet,"

Charlie chuckled. "I mean, you are pretty old," He teased. "But one baby in the house at a time is enough." He stood, starting to tire of sitting, and paced about a bit, rocking the baby. "I've got this one to keep my attention, you'll be lucky if I give him back," He winked playfully.

Celestyn laughed easily and nodded in agreement. "It is enough," He watched Charlie and laughed lightly. "Caspian will be blessed with the best big brother," he told him in agreement. Celestyn didn't know why this moment of watching his sons together, kids who were decades apart. How proud of Charlie he was. How things had changed. How much easier it would be this time around.

Charlie stole a glance at his dad, an easy smile on his face. "Dad, you're turning into a crybaby," He teased. "Why don't you go check on mom? I've got Caspian," He jerked his chin lightly back towards the room Cassi was in. "Shoo. You're gunna wake him up with all of that blubbering." He gave the old man a playful wink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back