Squibs and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspen Jones

OOC First Name
Anna
Wand
11 1/2" Asphodel, Hair from the Mane of a Kelpie (Grandmother's wand)
Well, I had a slightly random thought as I was trying to sleep yesterday...
If a squib has a kid with a muggle, would that kid a) be classified as a half-blood and b) have any possibility of being a witch/wizard?

Just wondering!

I know this is obviously not the 'official' answer but I think if the squib is pureblood and they have a child with a muggle, it's still a half blood. Whether or not it can do magic is a completely different question.
And like with the whole mystery behind muggle-borns just randomly having powers, of course there is a chance the child could do magic.. I suppose it's all up to what caused the parent to be a squib and whether that is passed on genetically.

I think that's right.

Actually, from what I can guess from JK Rowling, Squibs are taking off the pureblood family trees (basically disowned) because they pollute it. A Pureblood family is a magical family that has no history (known at least) in which the magical blood has mixed with non magical blood. I think Squibs would be classified as a Muggle kinda, so if a Squib and and a Muggle were to have a witch for a daughter she would mostlikely be treated as a Mudblood because she is the daughter of a Muggle and a Squib both are not looked at kindly in the wizarding world. (If you read carefully Muggles were treated like lovible simple people while Squibs were just treated like a magical world joke!)

While Brian's description was nice I don't think he fully answered your question. I think the child would have a possibility of having magic because even if one parent was a Squib, it still had a magical family background, or it can just randomly possess the power for magic that lots of Muggle-borns possess. That's my idea anyway.

Wow, lots to think about! Maybe all the muggle-borns are actually just descended from squibs somewhere along the way...

If a squib has a kid with a muggle, would that kid a) be classified as a half-blood and b) have any possibility of being a witch/wizard?

Hi there :D

1-A child born of a muggle/squib union can basically call themselves whatever they'd like.
For example, the squib parent may claim to be a muggle. In which case the child should think it's muggle born.
Technically the squib's blood is wizard blood. It may even be pure blood. So whichever would make sense on a
case-by-case basis.

2-That child could absolutely have magical powers. If muggle borns can, then it'd only stand to reason that a child of a squib could.

Also, squibs don't necessarily equal pureblood born. It's just more common with purebloods due to inbreeding. JK Rowling does indicate that they are often removed from pureblood family trees, usually due to shame.

[sup][sup] transcribed for teh nick [/sup][/sup]

Topic Closed and Archived

Your question/issue has either been resolved or is unanswerable.
If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to open another topic in the FAQ forum, we're always pleased to answer your questions.

Thank you,

~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back