Saw Your Face, Heard Your Name - Gotta Get With You

Sanctuari Ellison

OOC First Name
Cole
The scent of cinnamon rolls and other baked good permeated the air of Sanctuari's small house. She'd been baking goodies all day, most of them for gifts for her neighbors whom had been very helpful with the remodeling of the outside of her house, and also for the investigators whom had checked out her house the night she thought she'd been burglarized. The brunette woman knew it had happened some time ago, but she still liked to back for the officers. She had very few people to do so for and thought it was a good way to keep up on her skills. The only other people she baked for were her neighbors - Zander and his daughter Abby. Ri smiled at thinking of them, glancing out the kitchen window at their house. She kenw they'd be up, Abby would probably be awake a little later in the day since she was on break from school.

Thinking now would be as good a time as any, the woman packed up a few baked goods, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and cookies, and made the small walk over. Her yellow sun dress would be hard to miss if spotted, the bright colors typical to Sanctuari lately. Upon arriving on Zander's front steps she took a breath, completely confused as to why she was always so nervous around him. Then Ri knocked and waited for the man to open the door.

[adminapproval=11532991]
Zander had been sitting watching cartoons with Abby upstairs still asleep, it was fairly early, but Zander hadn't even slept yet, he'd sat watching old reruns of the cartoons on the tv with a cooling coffee's in his hands as he stared blankly at the TV screen, there was so much on his mind, and the little break he'd taken from his job to be at home with Abby during this time was proving difficult, it was almost like despite the fact that Zander worked from home, and struggled to figure himself out usually, being home without any work to even think about was even worse, he was left with nothing to do as the hours dwindled down and he was left thinking about how his life had turned out. At some point in the early hours of the day, Zander had failed to stop himself from crying, but there was little of that time which remained on his face, just the ever present crushing feeling he felt as he attempted to start the day, the man knew that his daughter would be awake soon, and when she was he had to be the man which she expected him to be, happy, even if the sadness he felt was growing like a monstrous cloud in his mind.

The door bell rang and Zander got to his feet, switching the tv off, and taking a few moments to open the curtains and let in the early morning light, and then after wiping his eyes and running a hand through his hair tiredly as he opened the door and was greeted by Sanctuari standing in front of him, wearing a yellow sun dress and with the smell of baked goods filling his house, he found a smile reach his lips, pulling at the edges in a way that usually only Abby managed, but it was the way she was stood in front of him, in a sun dress the representation of the sun in his life and the way she was beginning to make him feel, like Peyton once had. Zander smiled at her and opened the door to welcome her inside, "Hey," he said to her a little shyly as he tried to keep smiling, though it faltered and faded, he looked down at his crumbled clothes, the same ones as yesterday, "Can I get you a coffee?" he asked her, Zander had something to ask her of course, at the suggestion of Abby, but he couldn't find the words, he had never been good at this, he waited until they were both stood in the living room, "Do you want to go out for dinner or something?"

Sanctuari truly wished that Zander would not look so tired all the time, and wished she could do something to help him get better sleep - to feel better. Since meeting Zander she had known he was different, hurting, and she knew a little about his family but not much other than it was just he and Abby. With the little girl on her mind she glanced around, but it must have been too early for her to be awake. "Hey yourself." She commented, entering his house and moving to the table in their kitchen where she had first revealed her magic to him by accident - the night the rock broke her window. "I would love a coffee." She spoke. "And help yourself, if I'm going to fatten you up in time for Thanksgiving I gotta up my game." She joked, a smile parting her plump lips, the glitter in her gloss shimmering ever so slightly in the sunlight.

She sat down the items before following him into the living room where he stood awkwardly. It wasn't until he spoke that she realized why, and a pink colored blush appeared on her cheek. Ri laughed slightly, looking away. "I would love to go to dinner with you Zander." She spoke. "I was wondering if I'd have to be the one to ask you to get out of the house after all." She teased him, a playful look in her pink orbs.

Zander didn't usually start his days so early unless he was taking Abby to school, and usually even then he would just return to his earlier position until he felt ready to really begin his day, seeing Sanctuari in front of him at this time was a little odd, but she was a welcome surprise, the embodiment of sunshine to him and not just because of the summer dress, much how like Abby was, Sanctuari was a source of happiness he liked, it was so hard for him to come by happiness nowadays anyway. The man just nodded at her words, rubbing his eyes tiredly, and hoping that any residual traces of his tears were gone from his face. Zander was nervous about asking her out, he didn't usually let people into his life, with Abby to think about and his track record with people he was reluctant to even talk to people, he would've happily gone his entire existence in this house without once speaking with this woman had she not had something be accidentally delivered to his house, but here he now was, asking her out, trying his best to smile at her, to be encouraging but the blank emotionless expression that he always wore won, since despite the sweet smell of the food and the way he was sure she'd say yes he couldn't find it in him to really smile. As she agreed, the smallest of relieved smiles danced across his face, and he felt like this was a good thing, "How about tonight? Abby's going to a friends for a sleepover, we'll be alone," Zander was hoping she'd be free that night, more because he didn't really want to spend the night alone and she was the only person who might be able to spend with him.

When that was settled the man wandered into the kitchen and began making the coffee, going through the motions like he did every day as he made his usual morning coffee, the coffee was ready in no time and the man wandered back into the room where he'd left Sanctuari, offering her the cup as he drank from his own cup, looking at the food which she'd brought, and then from within taking one and slowly munching on it, admitting to himself that it did taste amazing, far better than anything he could've ever made for both himself and Abby, try as he might, but Zander had never been terribly gifted when it came to cooking, Sanctuari was far better, and he was half persuaded that his daughter had encouraged him to ask her out just to perhaps have more, better food in the house. He ate gladly, finding a seat and just focusing on the food in front of him, which seemed to bring him a lot of pleasure, eating like he hadn't really tasted anything good in a while, his mind just solely focused on the food in front of him. The man looked back up at Sanctuari and a small fleeting smile crossed his features, "This is good, Abby will love it," he complimented, "How's the window?" he asked, the man wasn't sure why he was asking this, it seemed a little pointless that he was asking such a thing, given he'd likely asked it before but he didn't know what else to ask, "How've you been?" he added thinking that far more normal as a thing to ask, but he found conversation to be difficult especially when he knew his answer to the latter question would be a lie, or just be a simple, tired.

Sanctuari's smile was easy on her lips. It was so natural for the brunette, to just smile around this dark haired man before her. Even though she knew that behind his face was something - what it was she didn't know, but it was there. Loneliness perhaps? Perhaps anger, Ri felt as if she had nothing to fear though. She was shocked, she'd admit, at his eagerness. "Tonight?" She wasn't going to even pretend like she had plans or had to think. "Tonight sounds absolutely wonderful." The woman's smile broke even wider. She'd not been on a date in quite some time, not that she could remember. And she'd not been out drunk since her younger twenties.

Once the man complimented her baking Sanctuari's cheeks heated up. Food compliments, in her family, were the best. Especially when genuine. "Thank you, I hope she does." She then moved subjects, making sure to sit in a way she was looking into his face. "The window is fixed, and I've got an officer constantly patrolling it seems. They're all so nice." She muttered about it for a moment in Spanish before continuing in English by apologizing. "Sorry, I mean it's just so silly, I feel safe in the community." Realizing her rambles she stopped and changed to how she was. "I've been good. It's a little weird living on my own, having lived with my parents for a while and caring for them. It's really empty sometimes." She slowed and then looked sincerely into his eyes. "Zander, how are you?" Her hand outstretched for a minute, as if she wanted to touch his knees, but she passed it off by grabbing hold of her cup.

Zander wondered if he'd done the right thing in inviting her out so soon, the man had no other plans and with Abby gone the loneliness could be all consuming, he wanted to do something which was most unlike his usual thoughts where he'd just spend the entire night curled on the couch staring blankly at the muggle television in the room, at the usually struggling image with the magic interfering in the room, other times he just stared blankly at the ceiling until the sun came back up. Sleep didn't come easily to the man, Zander ran a hand through his hair a little nervously as he wondered if he should say anything about it, but not trusting the words that might come out of his mouth about it. There was a small moment of silence but he was glad when the moment passed and she agreed to go out and he just nodded, the faint ghost of a real smile almost reaching his lips as he forced himself to smile in return to her. He was clearly trying but Zander was too tired to actually smile most days, and even though he could feel a small flicker of something over this news it wasn't enough to bring an actual smile to his lips no matter how hard he was trying, "You can come round about seven?" Zander offered as a time, hoping it would suit.

It was easier then to just move on from that topic and to something simpler and though this wasn't really simpler because he'd asked about her and the question usually came back to him, and he had no way of being honest about it, he didn't like those questions most of the time because he couldn't answer it, he didn't have the ability to. But the man listened along to what she was saying, listening to the fact she felt safe, that her house felt a little lonely and boy could he understand that, his heart ached from the loneliness he felt some times, and ever increasingly as the thoughts of being left by his daughter plagued him ever increasingly so and so soon after the last had deserted the nest. At the mention of his name he had to look up at her, meeting her gaze with the same blank expression he always wore, how was he? What a loaded question really, since he had no real answer, he had nothing to offer her, "I'm fine," he mumbled as he took a sip of the coffee, Zander couldn't even convince himself of this fact much any more, he knew he wasn't fine, he knew something was wrong and he was trying his best to fight against it, but the practiced rehearsed words tumbled out his mouth easily, the same thing he'd been saying for countless years, the man just sipped the coffee, drinking in the taste, letting the silence engulf the room, until he cleared his throat, "Your parents, they don't mind you leaving?" he asked just anything to push the subject away from how he was.

When Zander mentioned the time she glanced at her wrist where sat a small watch. She had plenty of time to get ready. She'd not done makeup for a date in so long. Sanctuari then wondered if Zander would even like her in make up, truly dolled up for a night out. She made a mental note to herself to not wear too much makeup as it might turn Zander away from her, and frankly she'd not had so much interest in someone in a long time. She'd been on a date in recent years, before moving all the way to New Zealand, but it didn't mean that she felt truly date-able yet, and she still had a little more healing to do with herself before her heart might be ready to admit love - but infatuation with Zander was something she wouldn't deny.

The tanned brunette looked him in the eyes and smiled. She'd done only a minute or so of thinking before nodding. "Seven sounds perfect." She told him, making sure she sounded genuine, as sometimes she often felt she didn't sound so for him. She sounded too cheerful she thought, and it came across as a facade - but it was rather a promise to herself that she'd not let sadness overtake her. The woman wondered if Zander, who seemed so lonely, was the same as she - though she doubted it. Sometimes the emptiness behind his soulful orbs worried her, but it wasn't her place. She shrugged at his question, deciding that to push his answer of fine was not a good idea. Being as honest as she could, finding that honesty made a better impression and stronger friendships, she answered. "It's better i think. When my husband died I stopped doing a lot of the things I loved doing. I used to cliff dive every weekend and I loved the Honduras landscape and herbology in my home country while hard was fascinating." She looked into her coffee at her obscured reflection and then looked up at him. "I struggled with alcohol for a few years after and it became my parents taking care of me more than I took care of them. So once I got better they told me perhaps I should try living on my own again. I'd been looking to move to New Zealand before Link passed but... never did. So for them they were watching their daughter fulfill her dreams. And I loved it. They were happy. And I can always apparate back when I need to." Sanctuari looked up to make eye contact with Zander and laughed. "Sorry, I'm sure a simple yes but no would have settled. I guess I just like to give the full story so there are no mistakes about me." Thinking for a moment she took a drink from the coffee. "Zander, what's your job like? Or should I save this for date conversation? I just feel like I don't know enough about you." Ri hadn't even noticed she'd used the word date, though she assumed that was what their arrangement was.

Zander nodded at her agreement seven would be good, and though he had plenty to do until that time, he was glad that it was now set in stone and with his daughter's encouragement he would be able to keep the agreement and actually end up on this date he'd now arranged, which was a strange thought in his head, a date? He hadn't dated since Peyton, he had seen girls he'd liked but not since had he dated, most of the time if arranged one, he would cancel it, never to remake it, Zander felt nervous about this date, he didn't want it to end in disaster but he knew at least he'd make his best efforts to attend, to actually go on the date, though he could make zero guarantees about it. The man sat himself down and as soon as the question about her parents left his lips he felt like he had definitely said the wrong thing, he wasn't on to delve into a person's past knowing it might be returned to him, but more so than that, he didn't like hearing about other's people's past because it always just made him think of his own, and Zander definitely didn't like the sorrow that came with thinking about his own past, he couldn't help but think of all he'd lost and how little he had left since those days at school, he longed for the days he simply couldn't get back any more.

As she began, with the fact her husband had died, a fact he was aware of from their first meeting and then began delving into what had happened to her, the drinking and the no longer doing any fun, or doing what she loved, he knew he did that himself. Since his parents had died all those years before Zander had lost interest in all of his hobbies, once he had been able to sit with his guitar play until the night came in, but now he knew he no longer had the guitar, nothing made him happy which had once. He couldn't find his smile or the faintest glimmer of joy even in the things he'd once loved, all he had now was Abby and without her, he didn't even want to think about it. The man took a sip of his coffee as she finished, he knew that all of his siblings had done what she'd done, flown from the nest found themselves a better place to go, to be happy, he just wanted them to contact him, let him know they were alright. It took him a small moment to even figure out that Sanctuari had asked him a question and he coughed slightly, clearing his throat,

"Insurance," he told her, "Not very glamorous or exciting, but it pays well," he didn't hate his job, his work were very accommodating to his needs, allowing him to work almost entirely from home, and while it wasn't the best job in the world, he knew he could do worse. He didn't know what else to say about it, he glanced back up at her and tried his best to smile at her, perhaps halt the questions though he knew that on the date there would be plenty of them, "Where did you go to school, did they have a magical school in Honduras?"

Had Sanctuari known a thing about what her story made him feel, she'd have stopped. Had Sanctuari known how he felt at all she wouldn't stop hugging him. However the pink haired woman remained blissfully unaware at her friends sadness, his bleak desperation for a light that he believed would never traverse to him. She listened to him berate his job and though he'd asked another question she didn't quite answer it right away.

"Insurance can be interesting. It saves people a lot of times! After all without insurance some people couldn't pay for injuries, and without house insurance my window wouldn't have gotten fixed. I am too broke for that." She laughed, and took another breath. "I was homeschooled for most of my time, but I transferred here to New Zealand actually for my last two years of schooling. I was a Hufflepuff." She proclaimed proudly, turning slightly so the tattoo that was peeking from behind her dress on her shoulder was visible to him. She turned back to sit in her chair properly and then politely gave him a smile. "What about you? I've never even thought to ask you. I feel like there's so much I don't know about you." She spoke, leaning forward a bit.

Zander looked at her, taking a small sip of his drink and wondering why, or how she managed to always try to find the positive in all the situations, in the simple words that he'd spoken which hadn't exactly been negative and didn't make him feel that bad really, he liked his job, he'd been doing it for years he knew that he could've moved up or gotten a better job but he was happy where he was, easily able to work and without too much responsibilities. The man just nodded at her words, "You're a witch Sanctuari, you could've fixed the window easily," he told her, unable to keep the slightly biting tone out his voice and he just shook his head and muttered an apology, "Wizards over react every single time something happens, they appear to forget they can fix most things with magic," The man said to her, hoping to save it from his earlier comment which she probably wouldn't have enjoyed even just as it slipped out and he was sure that she might've grown used to it since he would bounce between the vague bits of anger and just being expressionless. He nodded along as she continued speaking.

Zander glanced up at her tattoo and smiled slightly at it, "My youngest sister was briefly at Hogwarts New Zealand, Hufflepuff too, if I remember correctly," he tried to think, but he couldn't even remember anymore, she hadn't stayed long, but she like the others was now gone and he stopped speaking, her leaving had been one of the hardest in his life ever. He hadn't wanted that to happen at all, she'd helped so much in the early years, he'd mostly raised her. Zander stopped the thoughts in their tracks, "She really liked it, I can see why you'd get a tattoo of that," he replied, carefully avoiding the question of where he had gone to school, though he was sure that she might've picked up on it, since she had that ability to generally figure out when he wasn't talking about something. He finished his cup of coffee and placed it down on the table, "I have to go shopping with Abby, stuff for the sleepover, shall I just get you here at seven?" Zander got to his feet, he knew that tonight he would need to talk, so he would try to save it for then. Zander knew he was lying to himself but it made him feel better about cutting things short, "I'll see you then,"

if Sanctuari's eyes were any indicator of how the comment made her feel, Ri would have looked pathetic. Her feelings were hurt, though she knew often Zander would say things without thought or without meaning them as harshly. It was hard for Ri to blame him, any normal wizard would have been able to fix it, however Ri lacked ability in her charms to do many simple tasks. She supposed if she practiced she may gain mastery, but her failure-based anxiety prevented her from doing so unless in desperate measure. Ri turned pink orbs toward her hands and stared at the lines, as if they would tell her the most wondrous story in the universe. She nodded as he spoke, trying to brush off the hurtful words he'd spoken before.

"Yeah it was nice." She spoke, though now she'd lost a majority of her energy, her mind elsewhere. It was almost a blessing in disguise that after the comment that he needed to leave, and Ri stood up almost too quickly. "I'll see you tonight, Zander." She muttered with a forced smile before exiting the house before he even had a chance to walk her to the door. She needed a shower and a drink or so to help her forget that her magic was not up to par - and only hoped that if Zander were to find out her mediocrity he wouldn't mind.

Several Hours Later

Zander had been pleasantly surprised by the date, though the slight tension from earlier in the day had somewhat carried into the date, he felt that as the night had worn on, it had gotten easier, he'd avoided most questions about him as he could, asking more about her, and learning far more about Sanctuari speaking about his daughter and her schooling, how excited he was for when she eventually went to Hogwarts even if he really wasn't. Overall, just having a surprisingly good time, so much so that a small tentative smile had reached his lips on a few occasions and he didn't want to murder his daughter for forcing him to go on what might've been a torturously hard time for him. The man was walking beside her, with his hands in his pockets back to his house, he had his head ducked and was just staring at the floor letting the silence encompass them and just let it sit nicely upon them, it was not like it felt awkward, and being less than the conversationalist, Zander wasn't exactly going to just start conversations with Sanctuari no matter how comfortable she made him.

Eventually they arrived back at his house and he opened the door her inviting her in for drinks, like he'd said that he would do for her. Zander knew he wasn't the easiest to get to know, and he knew she was looking to learn just about anything about him, but Zander hated talking about himself, it was in his mind a horrible tale where just at every turn he had monumentally failed at life. The man let her close the door behind her as he made his way to the kitchen and made them two cups of tea. He didn't drink that much when around other people, usually if he was alone without his daughter he might have more than a few but those nights were always worse than the rest so he attempted to avoid it as much as possible. The man didn't say anything, but just stared out the kitchen window at the back garden, "Let's sit outside," he told her when he'd finished making the tea, it was summer, and therefore warm enough out that he didn't need to worry about it being cold, and Zander just without waiting for a response head out to sit at the dusty and somewhat dirty garden table.

He took a sip of the piping hot tea and glanced at the pink eyed girl, "I had fun," fun wasn't perhaps the right word, but it was the most fun he'd had outside of his daughter since Peyton had left, "I'm sorry about earlier today, sometimes words just come before I can filter them," he told her staring at his apologetically, "I'd blame the fact I was sorted into Gryffindor while at school,"

A date! Sanctuari was going on a date with her neighbor whom so far had been her favorite person that she'd met in New Zealand. The brunette woman had spent over two hours just selecting an outfit that she thought was mature, but not over the top. She wanted Zander to think she took the date seriously, but not that she was trying too hard. Perhaps she would have been better not changing clothing, but Ri couldn't help but have felt that lazy. Now though, that she and Zander were walking back from their date, she thought her decision on clothing was such an arbitrary and distant decision. The rose orbed woman had rarely taken her eyes off Zander throughout the night, adn couldn't believe that she'd actually seen faint smiles touching his lips that seemed so genuine. So real. It was enough to make her smile, and make the silence increasingly comfortable between them.

The walk was not long, though near the end of it it felt a bit painful being that she was wearing heels to make up for the height difference between them. Sanctuari was by no means short, but Zander was well over a head taller than her without her heels. As they made their way inside she thought of taking her shoes off, but instead opted to keep them on for a bit longer, unsure how long she'd be able to stay while they drank tea. As the tea brewed, Ri leaned against the counter, more watching him than anything. Grateful to have at least made a friend. If she were honest the nearly dormant emotions she'd had for him were beginning to stir though, and she thought perhaps it would be nice to no longer be alone, and start a relationship with someone. A pang in her heart struck her every time she thought of that though, as she worried that she would lose Zander the same as she lost Link.

The pair traveled outside where the weather was comfortable, and she held her tea in her perpetually chilled hands to warm them. Even with the humidity and heat of the New Zealand summer her fingers still often remained cold. Her mother always told her that cold hands meant a warm heart, as the blood had to stay there to keep her so loving. It was a metaphor she knew, but it was some comfort to her. At his words, the first spoken since they'd left she smiled. "Me too, I'm really glad we did this." Then again for the first time he brought up earlier and she shook her head reassuringly. "We all say things we don't quite mean sometimes." It wasn't until after she'd replied that she realized what he'd just said. As the girl had forgotten about asking about the school earlier, she felt as if Zander had for once offered information about himself willingly. "Explains why you're brave enough to hang out with someone like me." She joked, buffing out her chest to appear a little intimidating - though it hardly worked. "I know it's a bit early to say this but, Zander, I'd really like to go on another date after tonight. I mean i had more fun with you than I have with anyone in a long time." Sanctuari allowed the shifting of her orbs from his eyes, to his mouth, to his eyes again. She wouldn't act on teenage whims though, she was an adult now, and though for much of her time as an adult she had been childish, she felt this was a chance to be mature and start over. So instead she moved a hand to the bench, to lean and sit a little closer to him, so they could continue a conversation.

Zander who wasn't the type to ever be glad for doing something which did end for him in just being out on the line, had really surprised himself, it was difficult for Zander to feel anything most days and the fact she had managed to get him to actually enjoy himself, to not feel like the most pathetic man in the world for being incapable of connecting with people, but he was almost managing it with her. He didn't know what become of it, or what it might to lead to but he suddenly actually was curious to what it might lead to, which wasn't something he could ever to having thought before. His mind had been on a single track, Abby was his sole focus all his attention needed to be on her, needed for her to stay with him, or at the very least just stay somewhat with him as she got older, he hadn't even entertained the idea of someone being more than just a passing person in his life, but Sanctuari was already well embedded in his life because of a series of accidents to the point where he knew that his daughter would sorely miss her should she suddenly disappear, he knew that for that reason alone he had to tread carefully.

The man was glad that she agreed to the fact they'd had a good time, and he felt a little flicker of hope that this relationship might not end as badly as the last, but he couldn't bring himself to look at her as she spoke, instead staring at the cup in his hands and then just staring at the liquid within it as she continued speaking, he knew that to most talking about school was hardly the most difficult thing to do, but to him, it was almost impossibly hard to do so. At her words, he was a little surprised, perhaps when he'd been younger he would've once thought of himself as brave but he believed himself at this point in his life to be the furtherest thing from it, he barely had the bravery to face every day, to face the light of day, but he just shook his head slightly almost in a slightly unnoticeable way. The man looked up at her when she basically asked about another date, and Zander had to let a small silence take over them, "I'd like that," he said, there was a hint of a sigh in his tone but it wasn't a negative tone, he forced himself to smile at her, the small hints of perhaps a real smile on his lips but it faded quickly, "My life is a little complicated what with Abby, I need to get a baby sitter for her, and her last one just moved away so, it might be a while until I can find someone else, but I would very much like it," he admitted quietly, he knew the house was littered with pictures with all his siblings, with always multiple people, his entire family, bits and pieces of it and it was almost embarrassing that despite all those people had no one he could easily turn to, those people were all gone, and he had to search for a new baby sitter for his daughter, since he had very few other people who would even try and commit the time to helping him.

The fact that Zander had agreed that a second date would be nice overjoyed the Honduran woman. She truly hadn't felt this comfortable in another's company in a long time. Sanctuari heard him out on the complications, and nodding. Though she'd never been in his exact situation, empathetically she did understand him. "If you need any help finding someone, I would be more than willing to help you look." She offered. Of course if Zander needed a baby sitter when they weren't going out Ri would do so in the blink of an eye. She enjoyed the little witch's company and often time they seemed to make each other happy. Sanctari understood that Zander must have been fairly worried about a baby sitter, as the wrong one could spell trouble for he and Abby.

Sanctuari, still only holding her tea in one hand tried to muster all her courage. She'd not had contact with Zander ever and perhaps with the smallest gesture she could try and be comforting to him, even if it was a bit awkward. Since he held his tea with both hands she placed a hand on the farthest point of his knee, still on the top of it. She looked him in the eyes and gave a large smile. "Anyone ever tell you you have lovely eyes?" She asked him, complimenting him and now showing more interest than before. It was now or never that she try and squeeze a little emotion in after all.

Zander shook his head at her offer, but he thanked her quietly, he knew that if they were to pursue something he would have to become more open about things but he didn't know how to be honest about things. Zander was a private person, he didn't know how else to be and with getting someone to look after Abby it was all about finding the person who wouldn't do anything horrible, who would treat Abby with respect and who wouldn't go looking around the house for things, he wasn't the most trusting of people so it was rather difficult, half why he missed just being able to use one of the siblings he loved and trusted to do it, but with them all gone he wasn't in a position to actual be able to do it, so he had no one he could actually easily trust, Sanctuari had been a last resort that one time, and really he was beginning to trust her more and more, it was just tiny increments of time that would eventually if she stuck around lead to him really being able to trust her, "I know what's right for Abby, for us, it's easier if I do it alone," there was hint in his tone of appreciation at her offer.

Zander glanced at her hand as she placed it on his knee and it felt foreign to him, it felt strange and reminded him of Peyton, of how soft her touch used to be but she'd left and he could admit to while it being strange him really liking the feel of her hand on his knee because it was so new to him, it was such odd thing and yet he didn't want it to end. He felt suddenly like he wanted more, like for the first time since Peyton had left him that he really just wanted a hug from someone other than his daughter. Zander tentatively and seemed to more than once pull back his hand reached out and placed his on hers, a visible shake as he finally managed to place it on hers, his gaze flitted between her and their hands, and at her words his gaze lingered on hers, he was staring at her in slight disbelief, "No one ever has, I mean not since my mother," he spoke quietly, a little bit of uncertainty in his voice as he spoke, as if uncertain to bring up his family with her. He rarely spoke of his parents not even with Abby, they were so long ago at this point he didn't see the point in bringing them up, his daughter didn't need to know who they were more than just a passing comment, "Parents don't really count though, right?" he seemed to ask.

Sanctuari wasn't bothered by him denying her help. She had never been a parent, thus she could only imagine the stress of finding someone suitable to be around your child. A magical child at that. After all, it wasn't as if he could use a muggle with Abby being so close to school age - she'd be exhibiting her powers too soon, and probably scare the holy high hell out of any baby sitter in the vicinity. Ri's rosette orbs shifted as a bird flew overhead, distracting her for only a moment. However her attention was brought back to the man beside her when the warmth of his shaking tendrils placed upon her own hands was felt. She looked slowly back to him and smiled sweetly at him, a pink tinge much like her eyes finding it's way to her cheeks.

She chuckled at his comment just slightly. "She was right." The woman insisted quietly. "Besides, had my mom not told me how pretty I was every day I wouldn't be the picture of confidence I am now." She joked slightly, knowing she had her own insecurities. Every woman did. Sanctuari didn't want to move her hand, she didn't want him to take his away, but she wanted to hold his hands, to twine her fingers with his. And so she did. She moved her hand upside down in it's place and tentatively twined her fingers with his.

Zander was hardly surprised when she didn't seem too bothered about his reluctance to help him, she was exceedingly understanding when it came to those things, it was one of the things that he like, he didn't need someone thinking they knew better than him about his daughter, he'd perhaps never that great a dad to his siblings but he was definitely trying with his daughter and trying his best to provide her with the best life because should she like any of his other siblings desert him and leave him alone he would feel better in the knowledge that she was prepared for the outside world. He didn't think that Sanctuari would know what was best for his daughter and he got the impression that she wouldn't ever impose upon him which definitely made him feel better about everything. Zander took a sip of his tea, for the moment just focusing on the hot beverage he wasn't sure what would happen with bringing up his mother he barely mentioned it so much that had pretty much convinced himself that the heavens would open if he just brought up his mother in his own mind.

Nothing did, instead Zander just listened to what Sanctuari was saying and though his mother had never been that affectionate with her emotions at least to him, she'd always been more like that to the daughters of the family, he couldn't help but nod, it was to the parents to let the confidence be instilled in the children, the same thing he did with Abby, he wanted her to be confident and he knew that she would grow up to be the most beautiful young woman and he was so pleased that he would be able to watch her grow into that kind of person. The man smiled at her, the tendrils of a real smile appearing on his face as he nodded in agreement, "I tell Abby every day or as often as I can about how beautiful she is," Zander's smile faded slowly once he had finished speaking, "I remember my mother doing the same with my sisters, since Abby doesn't have a mother, I know I should," the man told Sanctuari with a small glance at his hand that was slowly being intertwined with hers.

Sanctuari would never have been so understanding of Zander three years ago, or maybe even when she first met him. He was a single father, and him doing everything by himself without accepting help may have made her a bit upset - or she may have questioned him. However the way he and Abby interacted, and the way they loved each other, not only was it heart warming but it made Ri believe that Zander did truly know what was best for his daughter. The brunette continued to smile as he spoke to her, her hand fitted comfortably with his. She felt so at ease, sitting with him and drinking tea outside under the stars. Everything about this felt right to her, and for a moment it was as if she could forget that there was a fair amount of loneliness in her life from losing her husband.

Sanctuari gave a large smile to Zander. "You're such a good dad, Abby is so lucky to have someone like you as a dad." Sanctuari's thumb stroked at the skin of his hand slowly, enjoying the minuscule amount of contact that she was able to make with him. She sighed contentedly and leaned her head sideways onto his shoulder, becoming a bit more bold in her contact with him, hoping to Merlin that she didn't take things too far for a first date. She was fairly rusty after all. "Zander what's your favorite color?" She asked, hoping to ask about him without it being intrusive. She wanted to know him but knew that asking about his family was not the way to go about things.

Zander wasn't sure that he was as good a dad as she seemed to think but it wasn't like he could do anything about it, he was doing the best that he could, and he was sure that as long as Abby was happy everything would be fine. He just hoped that his own lack of emotions would ever cross over to her, as much as he tried to hide it all from her, it was increasingly difficult and he knew that his smile didn't come as easily to him as it once had, his expression just failed him even with her. But Zander would continue, continue trying his best to provide the best start for her in life and hopefully this would pay off when his daughter went to school and did the best that she could at the school, even if she like the others eventually left, he felt like as long as she did well and achieved he would have nothing to worry about, even if her leaving and never contacting him would ultimately crush him. The man couldn't take his gaze away from their hands, how strange it was to be taking her hand, the feeling of a hand bigger than his young daughter's in his, in such a way.

The man was very surprised as she leaned her head on his shoulder and he very visibly stiffened at the motion and then had to force himself to relax a little, it was just Sanctuari, this was harmless, he'd just not had this much contact with anyone bar his daughter since his last girlfriend had left. He didn't want it to stop, but he couldn't relax fully as much as he tried. At the question he paused and thought about it, he hadn't thought about his favourite colour, he hadn't thought of it, it hadn't been necessary for him to think about it, he always had more on his plate than what his favourite colour was, "Probably red, like Gryffindor, at least that's what it was last I thought about it," he muttered quietly still not entirely comfortable with how they were now sat, "What about you?" he didn't want to say that the last time he'd thought about it would've been when he was still at school, and really he'd never had the time to think of it, it wasn't like seeing the colour red brought him any joy or the one he opted for, he didn't really do colours, Abby's room was a mess of colours and his was plain, whites and greys, much like how he dressed and his general outlook on life.

There was a moment of silence and it seemed to sanctuari that Zander was thinking about his favorite color. If she were honest she couldn't exactly blame him. There were so many colors around them at that moment, and in the world in general, it was hard to pick she was sure. Sanctuari tried hard to ignore him becoming stiff, and instead of remaining there, she decided hand holding was enough of a victory and pulled her head away, in exchange for being able to look at him. At his answer she smiled. "I'll have to take note of that." She spoke coyly, most likely meaning that she would wear red around him more often. She thought she looked good in red anyways - it made her eyes pop.

The brunette thought of his question and shrugged. "I really like the color brown actually. Like earthy colors. I know that's probably super boring for someone like me who wears every other color except brown but, it's just a nice relaxing color." Ri had to stop herself, she was rambling. She sipped her tea to give her mouth something to do and to give them a moment of silence. She'd always been like that - too many words and not enough time it seemed. "Do you think Abby is okay with this? I mean does she know or are you waiting to see if you can put up with me before you tell her?" Sanctuari thought it was a fairly serious question, but she rather like Abby and often wanted to do crafts with her, bake with her - things a mother might do though she would never consider herself as such for Abby. she supposed it was only because she'd never had children that she liked to think of it as such.

Zander wasn't sure if he was really ready to dive back into the world of colour, the last he'd thought of it his favourite colour had been red, but now, he didn't know he didn't have the time or the patience to think of things like that. He didn't want her to start thinking he needed things in such a colour. The man felt extremely bad when she took her head off his shoulder and though he wanted to say that it was okay, that she could if she wanted to place her shoulder there but to him, it felt just so much more comfortable if she didn't. It was just easier for him to deal with her and talking to her so personally if there wasn't also the weight on his shoulder. The man glanced at her as she spoke and just shook his head, "You don't need to," he said easily unsure really of if this was the thing to be saying or not. Zander didn't want to make her feel like she had to take any note of what he'd said was his favourite colour to him it mean nothing. It was nothing, just a colour he'd long since stopped thinking about.

He looked at Sanctuari as she replied to his question, the return of the other question that had been asked, he didn't think it odd that her favourite colour was brown, he didn't really have very much reaction to things like that. instead Zander just listened along as he sipped the tea, every so often glancing at their hands and wondering how strange this night was shaping up to be. After moment of silence, he glanced up at her, it seemed weird that she was asking something of the sort, but he appreciated it, since there was always a difficulty in that if suddenly Sanctuari was no longer in their lives she might feel that in the same manner as Zander would. Zander didn't know what to say, if to be honest and say that it had been at his daughter's suggestion that he'd asked her out, "Abby is a smart kid, she encouraged me to ask you out," he told Sanctuari, "She seems to think I'm lonely," Zander added, it was a clear attempt at a joke, poking fun at the idea that he might be lonely, but it was so very clear he was, and it bugged him more that his daughter seemed to think that.

Perhaps it wasn't quite right for Sanctuari to laugh, but she couldn't help it. of course Aby had been the one to set all this up. She was a clever kid and knew things that were much beyond her years of knowledge. The corner of Sanctuari's eyes crinkled at the smile stayed on her face. She unabashedly looked at Zander and laughed slightly once more. "That kid is crazy smart." she told him, laugh lines that had since been hidden for so long now becoming more visible on her tanned complexion. Absentmindedly the brunette woman moved her thumb across his hand, it was a slow simple movement, almost comforting - but in Sanctuari's mind she liked the feel of his hands in hers, and it was the only way she could think to show that fact.

"Well are you?" She asked after a moment of silence, referring to his daughter thinking he was lonely. She wondered if perhaps he was - infact she herself felt that he was indeed lonely. After all it seemed he didn't keep company with anyone other than his daughter. She'd not seen cars at the house or anything of the sort. Perhaps people apparated in and out, but Ri thought she would have heard of them from Abby or from Zander.

Zander nodded at her, "That she is, definitely doesn't get it from my side of the family," he said, adding a little bit of a joke at the end, just to make the situation feel lighter, after all, it was more than a little embarrassing to him that his daughter might be more in-tune emotionally that he was. The man knew he wasn't exactly doing well, if anything everything around him was such an indication of the fact, but he thought he was doing a pretty good job of managing it, although he knew his smile barely reached his lips any more and he knew that he struggled more and more to find the motivation to get out of the house, he knew he slept even less than before, but he thought he was the only one seeing such things, the only one beginning to realise that perhaps he wasn't doing as well as he thought. The man put down the mug in his hands, placing it on the table and just staring at the ground, he could feel her comforting, or attempts at comfort but the question stilled him.

Zander lived with his daughter and only his daughter, and it had been like this for years, he had never really been asked such a thing, never had anyone really been concerned about him, when he had a child, in saying that he didn't associate much with people in the time between Peyton and now, finding it exceedingly hard to do so, but he visibly tenses at the question, shrugging his shoulders first. Thinking more about the question, "Aren't we all?" he replied quietly, "I have a daughter, I don't exactly have the time to be hanging out with people," he knew this with her was the exception to it, and mostly because she had some how wormed her way into his life, and he wasn't complaining about it either. Zander glanced up at her, "Aren't you?" he wondered if it really was perhaps just him, that he was lonely and he could pass it off more to do with circumstance that actual loneliness.

Sanctuari let a small chuckle past her lips. She couldn't help but take not that she was sure this was the first time that Zander had made an attempt at a joke. It was nice, and in her mind it seemed as if he was coming out of his shell - something that was heart-warming to see. Sanctuari continued to listen to Zander, making sure to take everything he said into account before she answered him. "Of course I am." She whispered almost sadly. It was rare now for Ri to come close to showing any sort of emotions to Zander as she often found she was happier around him, however the thought of being lonely was something that lately hadn't crossed her mind, as if she'd been too busy to feel. It was odd, that she considered this to be what adults did - ignored their emotions until they were brought to attention by something or someone else.

Sanctuari shrugged after a moment. "But I get less lonely every day. Now I have you and Abby to keep me on my toes, and my parents still want me to apparate home once every other weekend. I hear my sister might be coming back into town as well." She sighed, she didn't want to see Alyce, and in fact wasn't sure if she'd ever talked to Zander about her. However it was something that was going to come to the forefront sooner or later. "But mostly I'm glad I have you to keep me company when you can." she reassured him. "It's okay to be a little lonely after all, but all of us need something for the loneliness now and then right?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back