OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
Professor King came to a hault in front of the room of requirement. "You can practise your decisiveness by opening the room." he instructed, "This is another reason why I do not like the grey, it is indecisive. With magic if you do not know what you want neither will your magic."

Sophia stopped as Professor King did, frowning a bit at his words. She had not always been so indecisive, she used to be sure of everything. But, alas, many things had changed for Sophia since her arrival at Hogwarts. With a nod to the Professor she turned to look at the wall, staring at it for a few moments before turning on her heel and walking down the hallway.

Once she had walked a few feet down the hallway Sophia turned around and walked back toward Professor King, thinking to herself, I need a place where I can improve my skills in defensive magic with the help of Professor King. She passed Professor King and turned around, walking back down the hallway with the same thought in her head. Once she got to the spot she had been in at the start of her pass she turned around and walked past Professor King once more, the same thought in her head as the previous two times.

After passing the spot on the wall the third time a large wooden door appeared and Sophia stopped. She turned to Professor King with a slight smirk on her face. "After you Professor."

"How many people are going to interrupt us while we practise?" Professor King asked, suspecting she had not asked the room to be private or anything of that sort, but taking a risk over all. He then held open the door for Sophia, "Chivalry may be dead Ms. Stark but Ladies are still first."

Sophia gave another small sigh as she looked at Professor King, knowing that he was right. She had not thought of requiring the room make this endeavor a private one, however all of her previous encounters in the room had remained completely private.

"Chivalry is only dead if you let it be so," Sophia said to Professor King as she stepped through the door. She was pleased to see that the room looked similar to the last time she had been in it with the Professor. There was a large bookshelf containing books on everything from Disillusionment to protective spells against the wall the door was against to Sophia's right. Before her was an open room with enchanted dummies littered about and some mattresses on the floor at the far end.

Once inside she walked over to the bookshelf where a small table and some chairs were situated. Sophia removed her messenger bag from her torso and set it down on one of the chairs.

Professor King walked into the room and closed the large wooden door behind him. He hung his cloak up, and inhaled deeply. He glanced around the room to see what was availible to their uses, he then turned to Sophia. "What to teach you..." he began hesitantly, "The Defensive Charm!" he came out with brightly, "No, no could kill yourself doing that one wrong." he concluded walking about the room now. "I suppose you might be able to learn the banishing charm." he continued more to himself than her. "But of course that may not be very defensive."

Professor King sighed and glanced to where Sophia was, "Any ideas?"

Sophia watched with mild amusement as the Professor considered the options. "No, I did not really have anything in mind Professor. Although I would rather not kill myself today."

"If not today perhaps tomorrow." Professor King stated jokingly, "I know." he finally proclaimed, "This is magic you will have to master by removing any boundaries you have set up to prevent emotion, and any that control your magic excessivly." Professor King explained, "It is commmonly referred to as the defensive charge, have you heard of it?"

Sophia frowned slightly when the Professor explained that she would need to remove her barriers which prevent emotion. "I recall the term, but not much more." She was sure she had read the term in one of her books, but did not remember much else about it other than what the Professor had already said.

"Right, well then, basically a charge of electricity goes through your body and into a person who is physically harming you." Professor King explained, "There is no incantation for it, it is a most basic form of magic. You can't focus on it happening, you have to let it happen. Do you understand?"

Sophia blinked her golden eyes a few times as she stared at the Professor. "So, I do not want to focus on it happening, but if I let it happen it will?" She was quite skeptical and unsure about this. Sophia did not like uncertainty.

"Sure." Professor King said with a slight smirk as he flicked his wand behind his back and a dummy came to life, charging towards Sophia.

"Professor King!" Sophia exclaimed as she saw the dummy coming toward her. Her left hand immediately went to her pocket and her fingers wrapped around her wand. She did not even have time to withdraw her wand from her pocket before the dummy had reached her and wrapped its lifeless hands around her neck.

Professor King shook his head slowly and flicked his wand again, the dummy fell to the ground. "Are you alright?" he inquired taking a few steps towards Sophia.

Sophia stood up straight and brushed the dummy off of her. She turned to look at Professor King, staring daggers at him. Her golden eyes were glowing slightly, but they returned to normal after a few seconds. "Yes, I am fine," she said harshly, looking angry.

"It is not my fault you didn't let yourself defend yourself." He said with a slight smile, "Be mad if you will, but you asked me for my assistance, and if your father or Bellatrix are going to try something you will not be prepared. This is how I have chosen to train you." he explained in full confidence.

Sophia's expression softened slightly as she considered Professor King's words. "No, I will not be prepared, because I do not understand how to let myself defend myself. Is there nothing else you can say to explain?"

Professor King smiled, "You let yourself defend yourself by not stopping yourself Ms. Stark. You can't be logical, you can't tell your magic when, you let emotion control you, impulse, you let thousands of years of instinct finally do some good."

Sophia now frowned openly. "I thought you told me not to let my emotions control me? Or is this an exception?"

"When you have a wand and you are dueling emotion needs to be under control, when you are about to die because you can't get to your wand I think you can allow your emotions to help you." Professor King explained patiently, but emphasising die.

"So, I am to throw all logic and everything I have learned about controlling my emotions out the window and let my instincts save me. All right. Bring on the dummy." Sophia was not confident, but she was going to try.

"Only when you are in the gravest of dangers." Professor King clarified as he flicked his wand in the direction of two dummies this time. If she was prepared she might be able to draw her wand, she needed to be surprised.

Sophia barely had time to think before the dummies reached her, her golden eyes wide in surprise. Fear filled her body and she struggled as the dummies began grabbing at her. "Stop!" she yelled, still unsure of what she was supposed to be doing. Why is nothing happening? she thought with frustration as she continued to struggle.

"Stop trying Ms. Stark, let your magic flow." Professor King urged, "If you ever want to master wandless magic this skill will come in handy." he reminded her.

"Stop trying?!" Sophia yelled angrily at Professor King. She looked at him and then away, letting out a grunt of frustration. Closing her eyes she tried to focus on not trying. Stop trying. Let myself help myself. She stopped struggling despite the pair of hands that was grasping her neck. Stop trying, she thought as they closed tighter.

Very suddenly Sophia felt as if a very warm chill were running through her and the lifeless fingers stopped pressing, letting go of her neck. Sophia opened her eyes and looked around in confusion. "Did it work?"

Professor King shook his head alowly as Sophia yelled at him, he understood it was out of frustration, or so he thought. Then after a few more moments the dummies finally fell back to the floor, inanimate again. "I suppose so." he concluded, choosing to say nothing more at the present moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back