Land, Ho!

Heidi Longbottom

The day we arrived at New Zealand, was the same day another book was finished before aunt Lucille landed by the bay of the Harbors. The bow of the boat at nearly hit the pier with a loud shuttered, almost tipping me and my brother, James overboard. Which in my case wouldn't have mind the refreshing felt of the cool water engulfing us completely. The weather was sore and humid, that's why the water sounded more encouraging by now as Lucille tied the boat down, and let the anchor fall onto the depths of the ocean, keeping us still so we wouldn't drift off towards sea. ""This is it aunt Lucille?" the question had been obvious. Why else would aunt be reaching for her papers proof of their residency here till mines and James years at Hogwarts were up.

"Yes, yes it is" said a delighted voice, a woman of middle age, holding also a map besides the paper proof that they were new residence here. "Looks funny" commented James, he had a frown on his face that reminded you of a lost dog. "What are they wearing?" he commented with a snickers.
Heidi snickers along with her brother. "Oh hush you since when you've been a fashion icon?" Heidi asked a little bemused either way. James could be very odd at times, but he did know how to make someone laugh. "Shoot, shoot, both of you" Lucille pushed the children away to bay. "Heidi I'm counting on you to look after James while I go up towards the town's hall. Need to settle before anything else" aunt Lucille said, as we climbed onto the pier. Pier were always rocky, hardest part of getting off a boat had always been the motion of the pier.

"How long you think it will take Aunty?" Heidi asked before anything, "Not long, not long. Now here's a few galleon" she handed Heidi over a few, a small pouch was handed over by her aunt. "Eat something while you look around, you and James" she pointed her finger at the both of them than hurried away from their sight. "Oh come do we really have to? Couldn't we just stayed on board?" whine James.

"Don't forget about last time James," Heidi grabbed his hand and took up the streets of the Harbors. The only reason why they weren't on the boat, Jame had tried to test drive it? Or something he claim to have been doing, and of course Heidi had been reading another chapter of her dramatic series. "If your good James I'll get you an ice cream, if your good" Heidi pointed towards the shop, an ice cream parlor stood a couple steps before them. "Now for now, were just gonna see what they have here" she exclaimed with responsibility, pushing further into the crowds while holding her brother's hand. Let just hope they didn't get lost. Course that's impossible half of the harbor was made of the sea, the rest laid a busy street and several shops. One caught her eyes instantly, boltts, they did have shops like London. Weird, Heidi shrug and walked over towards the window. She peeked inside for a brief moment while James just kept staring at everyone that walked by.

Corey rushed out the of his house, slamming the door as he went. Birds quickly retreated and flew out of his path and in to the sky. The blue cloudless sky that if in a better mood would made Corey smile but not when he felt like this. He hated it when he argued with his parents, they always seemed to want better from his, they were never impressed and Corey left a little low about this fact hat he could never be good enough for his own family. It made him feel like he was not good enough for anything or anyone. This is not how a normal ten year old boy should feel is it? Corey didnt know.

His family life wasn't this bad all the time, mostly it was good ad he was happy but everyone had their moments. Some more than others. Corey didnt know exactly where he was walking, jut that he was moving further and further away from his house and he wouldnt be going back fora good few hours yet. He needed time to cool off and so did his mum and dad. He always found that talking to someone would help but he didnt know who to talk to.

Corey looked around at his surrounding then sighed in relief as he recognised the Harbour. He liked this place a lot and the best place he could think of here was the ice cream parlour. He changed direction and headed for his favourite shop and he felt his mood lighten already. The shop was in his sights and he grinned. He could remember coming here with his friends but those days were long gone and he was starting a wizarding school and they would be in a muggle school. He hated that his parents wouldnt let him play with muggles.

Once Corey reached the Parlour he spotted a girl looking through the window. Usually Corey would pass by and not really paying muc attention bt this girl as pretty, like really pretty an it just made him stop and look. He didnt really know wha to say but he knew what was always good to start with. "Hello." He said in his unbroken hih pitched voice. Strange how i cant feel my legs. He thought to himself as he swallowed hard to get rid of the lump. "Have you been here before? I know the best ice cream tat they sell here." Corey said to the girl with a smile

Had she been mistaken? Or was she really looking at another parlor? Heidi shifted her oceanic eyes, she swear she was staring at dozens and dozens book shifted by the binders, and their gold and some fading writing were slowly disappearing from being aged. "I believe the parlor down that way" James spoke before Heidi can scramble some words together. "Its the book store, not ice cream.." Heidi thump James on the back of his neck before he could even finish. "Don't mind him he's been a little grouchy since I've promise him some for later" she fib a little nudging James away some more while he let out an annoying groan. "Right?" Jame spoke shaking his head and walked over towards another shop avoiding getting hit by his sister again. He would've kept up his annoyance but ice cream was sounding good right about now for his taste buds. Anyone would fancy an Italian ice just about now. "I ah didn't catch your name, forgive my brother though he can be pleasant when he's not new in town" she continued to apologize for her brother's behavior. Except he was right, the boy looked down and a tad dumbfounded, as if he were stuck in place. "Are you alright?" Heidi asked willingness to help someone who seemed lost just like her.

corey looked up as an older boy spoke. He felt a lump form in his throat as he looked into the shop an back out again. "Urm ok then." He said biting his lip. He wast too sure about what to say now but the longer he stood here saying nothing then the bigger the rave he would be digging himself. He watched the boy walk off then turned to the girl again. "Im Corey and dont worry about it. Im used to it." He said smiling at her. He wasnt in fact used to it but he didnt want to complain to her about her own brother when he didnt even know her. "Are you new around here then?" He asked her curiously. He didnt live her but he came here so often that he knew his way around good enough to pass off as a resident so that other people didnt pick on him

Heidi fleer her lips into a halfway smile. Heidi wonder how many siblings he had to deal with? James was her youngest and only sibling she knew of ever having to be raise together. As she stated before, James can be pleasant when he wasn't acting like a four year child. "Yes I'm new here, we've just came from East Yorkshire, England" Heidi stop herself from saying anymore. Her aunt Lucille wouldn't allow her to speak to stranger unless she was present around them. Heidi figure he's just about her age, what can a boy her age do to her really? She didn't questions the doubts in the back of her mind, instead she ignore them typically to be normal and nonchalant. "I'm Heidi, my aunt says its not respectful to not know one names. You can call me Heidi or Trilly too" she sounded bashful and quiet. Most times that's Heidi typical demeanor, to be settle and less expressive when it came down to strangers.

Corey couldn't help grin widely as she mentioned the fact that she had said that she lived in England. Well at least they had something in common. "Wow thats so cool that your from England. Me too but i live in the Lake District though. I come here in the holidays to visit my Aunty." He said excited about this small fact. He was after all a 11 year old boy so of course his would get this excited. "Ok Heidi. Thats nice name you know." He complimented. He was happy that he know had a new friend and he liked heidi. "So how come your here now?" He asked her curiously as he tilted his head to the side slightly

"Really that"s odd" the fact she had met someone from the lake district was a good thing to Heidi. very few times did you meet someone that came from the same part of the world."In a good way I mean, its nice to know that were not the only native in town" she exclaimed happily with a warming smile. "Thanks Corey I like your name too. I hadn't once met someone with your name before" Heidi name was given by her father, for some reason he says it reminded him of tropical seas. Which is funny, because Heidi adore tropical island too. The warm weather, the sun blaring around you, it felt like a warm blanket just wrapped around you and hugging you in all the right places. Epically after a good swim down by the beach, Heidi loved the warm weather. "I got a letter from school, I'm attending Hogwarts here pretty soon, my aunt excited. But she a little disappointed I won't be traveling by sea with her for a while, except on the holidays" Heidi look over towards the pier, where her boat was floating next to the docks. "That's where I live. small boat but inside enchanted to look big" she wildly smile, she love their boat. As old and run down it look, and basically battered on the outside, still was home to the Longbottom children. She couldn't picture anywhere else to live except East Yorkshire back where her old home use to be.

Corey nodded when she said that it was odd. He knew that it was a little unusual to find somebody from the samecountry as you when there is an entire worldd to live in. England was a nice place to live though so he couldn't blame her for not living any where else. Coreysometimes had to wonder if he liked New Zealand more sometimes though. "Yeah it is a little bit but like you saaid its nice to find someone from the same place as me for once." He said to the girl. As he came here to visit his aunt, everryone just assumes that he lives arundhere even though he had a totally different accent to everyone else herre. "Thanks. It is a bit of an uncommon name isnt it." He saaid with a little laugh folling shortly after it. He had been given the name becausse it was his mums ex best friebds name who died, or something along those lines anyway. It wasn't really the sort of tging that interested him much right now. "Yeah i got a letter through as well. In really excited and so are my family. They cant wait to see what house i get sorted into." Corey said with a big grin on his face as he spoke. He couldn't wait eigher. He thought that he would probably get sorted in to Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. "What house do you want to go in to?" He asked as he grinned because she had said that she lived on a boat. To corey, a boy that had never been on a boat in his life, it sounded so cool. "Wow thatsamazing. I would love to live on a boat." He said chuckling slightly

Heidi smile widen, she listen to every detail he spilled from his lips. For once its nice to hear someone else speak besides her brother James and her aunt Lucille. Don't get Heidi wrong, she enjoyed the company of both her aunt and little brother. Even enjoyed the stories they come with after visiting a new country or region. Its how they bonded normally with each other. Discussing and eating a treat whenever it just felt right. "I don't know really. I guess we'll have to see whatever house I get thrown into. Now don't we?" secretly she hope to aim for Gryffindor, maybe Ravenclaw. Though, Heidi never consider herself that bright to enter Ravenclaw. James more clever if anything. "What about you Corey? What house would you preferred?" she asked curiously back. Though when he commented on her old shabby boat, Heidi chuckle. "Its's not all that big of a deal. I would give you a tour but my aunt Lucille won't allow it" she looked passed Corey. James wouldn't allow it as well, he's such a downer at times. But honest, to honest Heidi though silently to herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back