Happy Birthday to Me...

Fred McElroy

Fred stared down at the frosted cupcake sitting in front of him/her. A single lit candle stuck out of the top cup cake. Fred sighed, under his/her breath he/she muttered, “Happy birthday to me…” Fred hadn’t ever had birthday party, and the day was rarely celebrated by his/her several foster parents. Why would they? For most, there was no point in getting attached, Fred knew that sooner or later he/she would get moved on, and so did most of his/her foster parents. Especially the ones that did not appreciate his/her unique style, or the ones that got scared off by his/her “talents.”

Fred hoped Bridgette, his/her current foster parent, would have been different. Bridgette was a nice and patient woman. She allowed Fred to express him-/herself however he/she wished. Fred was appreciative of everything Bridgette did for him/her. Just as things were getting comfortable for Fred with his/her new situation, he/she was shipped off to Hogwarts. It was something Fred should have been used to by now, but in case of his new foster parent, he/she couldn’t get over it.

Fred didn’t have time to check the owls before class started and still have time for breakfast. He/She hoped there would be a message waiting with the owls from Bridgette, but even at eleven, well, twelve now, Fred was a pessimist. It was hard not to be, all things considering. And yet, there was hope to that maybe his/her foster mother would remember him/her with something useful too.

Being twelve is rough, Fred thought staring into the flame of the candle. A single drop of wax slid down the candle and onto the frosting. Yeah, happy birthday to me, Fred blew out the candle.

Andromeda walked into the Great Hall with nothing on her mind but a fresh brewed coffee, she honestly didn't know if she could get one now, but it was worth a try! She saw a student sitting by her/his self looking somewhat dejected. She noticed the cup cake and the candle. The penny dropped! She bit her lip and walked over. She had never met this student but that's what she was going to do now!
"Hi! It's your birthay?" she sat down without waiting to be asked, she hoped she didn't seem rude. "I'm Andromeda but you can call me Andy! I've seen you in one or two of my classes I think. Never got a chance to introduce myself before. So how old are you?"

Fred looked up at the girl when she sat. He/She was a bit taken a back by a stranger coming to sit with him/her. In many cases before, it was Fred who would walk up to strange people and start talking to them. It was interesting to have the tables turned for once.

After the Andromeda introduced herself, Fred replied, “It’s nice to meet you, my name is Fred. But if you’d like you can call me Winifred or Fredrick. I’ll response to all three.” He/She smiled a bit. There was tinge of sadness in his/her pleasant voice. “And, yeah, I think I remember you from Herbology, or something. If that's the case that would make you a Griffondor, right?” As he/she talked, he/she watched. Fred watched girl’s posture and facial expressions carefully, trying to glean anything of her motives. He/She hid it well between his/her words. Fred wasn’t trying to be rude or suspicious on purpose. It was instinct and a survival mechanism. After dealing with so many different kinds of people, one eventually gets a knack for reading between their lines. “I’m twelve today.”

"A wish?" Fred asked. "Was I supposed to?" No one had ever told him he/she got to make a wish.

"Well, yeah!" Andromeda looked at Fred now and smiled. "It's probably just an old wives tale, I don't know. But your supposed to make a wish, then blow out the candles, if you blow all of them out in one go, you get your wish!"
Andromeda thought that it was sad that Fred didn't know about birthday wishes but figured maybe it wasn't a custom where Fred came from.
"Do you want to light the candle again? I don't think the first one counts because you had no witnesses to the blowing!" She smiled.

"Yeah it is an old wives tale...,. i think. Sorry for interupting, im rauri "Rauri Said and you are Fred i take it???

Fred nodded with a bit of grin, "Sure, you can relight the candle."

When Rauri showed up Fred acknowledge presence looking up at her with a nod and said, "Yeah, I'm Fred. Nice to meet you."

Zazuka had spoted Andy and desided to follow. The intresting person aperently having a birthday. "Mind if I join you, I'm Zazuka Bones by the way. Ive seen you around the Ravenclaw commonroom." She said almost meekly.

Andromeda smiled at Zuka, "Hi Zuka, this is Fred whose 12 today! and this is Ruari! This is Zuka, my best friend!" She turned then to Ruari and said, "I'm Andromeda by the way, but everyone calls me Andy!"

gnny walked into the hall and saw a crowd gathering at a table. she walked over before recognizing Zazuka and fred. 'Hi Zuka, Fred.' she called halfway there. A few heads turned but she gave them a stare. 'what's going on here? Do I need to call a prefect?' she asked jokingly when she had reached them.

When Zazuka and Ginny arrived Fred greeted them respectively, and reintroduced himself to Zazuka because he/she couldn't remember if he/she had done in the commonroom earlier. "I hope there's no reason for you to call a perfect." Fred said. He/She knew that Ginny was joking and the tone he/she used communicated it. "Sit down and join us, you two. Stay around for a little while." Fred didn't mention that it was his/her birthday because he/she felt it would have been a bit rude or arrogant.

Zazuka looked at the cupcake and smiled. "I think your going to need something a bit bigger in honer of you birthday." She said with a smile. To Zazuka there was only one reson for a candle on a cupcake would be a birthday for one. "Can I try something?" She asked exsitedly as she took out her wand.

Andromeda looked on fascinated, she had performed one spell that had magically worked but knew it had been beginners luck. She was curious as to what spell Zuka would use! She bit her lip nervously, she really wasn't hungry enough for cake and if the spell backfired, Andromeda had visions of Fred not having any cake at all.

Ginny noticed a cake with a candle on the table. 'Hang on, are you going to burn down the school?' she joked again.

Zauzka looked around. "Gee I hope not..." She said then taped the cupcake with her wand and whispered "Engorgio" She closed her eyes and hoped she didn't make it shrink intead of grow. This was the first time she had tryed it outside of her emagenation.

Ginny watched as the candle quivered before staying the same. 'Well, if you're not going to burn Hogwarts down, then who's the lucky guy?' she asked still playfully joking.

(is that alright? i'll edit if you want. just that engorgio you don't really learn until after first year i think(? :-? ) and anyway, that spell, in my opinion couldn't be done by a first year. no offense like)

Zazuka opened one eye then sighed. "Oh well I guess I'm not ready for that one. I was trying to make your cupcake bigger." She said scratching her head. She knew it wasn't a first year spell but thought she should try it anyway. She failed back to the brawing bord.

Andromeda smiled and leaned over patting Zuka on the back!
"Good effort mate!" she smiled consolingly, "I didn't even know what you were doing! It just sounded like something gross!"
she turned back to Fred and grinning said,
"At least your cake is in one piece, better eat it before she tries something else!"

Ginny had to laugh at that comment. 'Good one, andy.' she said, pattinng fred on the back. 'well done, freddy. happy 12th birthday.' she said cheerfully.

"Hey, don't worry about Zazuka. You tried." Fred said to make the girl feel better. He/She turned to Ginny and said with a smile, "Thank you." Fred sighed lightly , it wasn't a sad sigh, though, it was a relieved sigh. It was nice having people around. He/She had a contented look on his/her face.

Fred wanted to thank Andromeda most all for taking the time to come and sit with him/her, but he/she didn't want to embarrass her. He/She gave her a look and smile instead, something subtle and humble to show his/her appreciation without having to muck it all up with words or have others misinterpret anything. It was just Fred's eyes to Andromeda's.

He/She held the look for a moment, before turning to the cup cap. Fred took the candle out of the top, the wrapping off the bottom and ate it.

'Anyway. I better be off. my busy schedule, see,' ginny joked, holding an imaginary parchment in the air. 'happy birthday, mate. don't get sick though. You wouldn't want to know whats gone in that.' she added and skipped off to the end of the hall before stepping out again.

Zazuka sugged then smiled. "I really have to work on that one but Happy birthday Whinny!" She said with a bright smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back