Bennett Household

Carl Bennett

In a rather sultory mood, Carlisle sat down at his dinner table, irritably shuffling through the stacks of bills the Bennett's had received, his manner deterring the rest of his family from him. Tommy was watching some educational video in the living room, while Margaret sat in the armchair, reading a People magazine but keeping a watchful eye on her son as she learned the latest dish on the hottest celebrities. Lucas was off on his own, probably chatting on the internet with some of his friends or playing his rather violent game of Diablo in his room. Carlisle sighed, running a large hand through his auburn, cropped hair. While he had acquired a huge surge in energy and was stronger than ever lately, he was growing increasingly anxious. He suffered bouts of insomnia, and often suffered the hours on end staring at the ceiling, time waxing away with the speed of molasses being poured uphill.

He sighed; there was an overload of unsettling things on his brain these days. That deer he had killed with his bare hands was one. He had gone for a walk in the woods on an empty stomach, and had sprung over to a young doe, snapping her neck with one swift motion. After he had devoured the carcass, he had had to bury it, as it was out of hunting season. He was becoming more of an animal everyday; the backs of his hands were getting increasingly hairier, not to mention the thick mat that carpeted his arms and legs. More unsettling, however, was his appetite; he could eat five steaks in one sitting, and he got sick even thinking about devouring cooked meat. It was for this reason that he ate only at places that contained steak, and that was after he could convince them to serve his meat raw. His family, although supportive, were getting quite tired of it. Not to mention his absences to the secluded cabin in North Minnesota every full moon, forced to take the Potion Estrella had brewed to make himself docile and calm. During these "monthly trips" he was subject to hunting down another animal for food, once in a while the Black Bear but more often deer and large birds. He was a monster, and he could not stop it.

He sighed, looking at a bill that he needed to pay before the end of the month. Christmas was coming around the corner. Money, money, money, that's all the world's about, he thought to himself despairingly. Not to mention, he was famished at the moment.

Luke smirked as he stepped into the kitchen, a boy of fifteen with blue eyes and short blonde hair, his complexion not completely acne free. He was tall, lanky and awkward looking, as if he was going to fall over and collapse any minute. He was a gamer at heart, just having played a long bout of Halo with his friends online, wearing a rather preppy outfit for his interests. He was considering cutting his hair and dying it some wacky shade of red, but he was still attempting to convince his mom in letting him do it.

He crossed his arms, unable to resist making a crack at his moping father. "That time of the month, Dad?" he mocked, grinning. He found the whole 'werewolf' thing to be quite ridiculous.

"Shut up, Luke," Carlisle snapped, averting his gaze back to the bills after a time, "You've been a real wiseass lately, and frankly, it's only humorous about 1 percent of the time."

"Suit yourself," Luke snorted, moving to the cupboard and pulling out a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, pouring the orange chips into a bowl. "But am I the only one here who finds this whole situation whacked up?" He raised his eyebrow at his Dad. "You know what I'm talking about."

"Yes, and time and time again, I've told you to stay out of it if you can't be mature," Carlisle retorted, his expression disconcerting.

"Oh, come on, Dad. We both know if you hadn't taken her in in the first place, we wouldn't be stuck in this mess. Hell, I would have lived my life happily knowing that there is no such thing as magic, and that my Dad isn't some creature from Van Helsing." His expression had turned cold, his dark eyes knowing and a mite resentful. Luke had never been able to accept what his cousin was, and more recently, his father. "In fact," his gaze was cynical, "If you had given her to her freak family in the first place, we would be in totally different positions right now."

"And again, I'm telling you that this matter is closed. Keep your mouth shut, Luke," Carlisle snapped, his expression turning a shade of red. "Now, don't you have to go to work or something?"

"I have the day off, Dad," Luke snapped back, smirking, and playing with the rims of his glasses. "But I have nothing else to do, so can I go see a movie with Tyler and Jessica?" He was always finding an excuse to get out of the house whenever he wasn't gaming, finding farm life drab and boring.

"I don't care as long as you drive yourself and pay your own way. Be back by twelve or you're gonna get it," Carlisle sighed irritably.

"Sweet. Later," Luke drawled in a bored tone, grabbing his truck keys from the counter and leaving his monotonous family to see an action flick that was infamous for being rather gory.

Carlisle sighed once again, throwing his bills down. He wasn't going to get them done tonight in any case. Informing Margaret that he was going out, he left for the sleek black Ford truck that gleamed in the driveway. Kickstarting the ignition, he slammed on the gas pedal and sped off down the road.

It took him virtually no time to get down to the butcher's, now a regular in their eyes. The heavy German man waved in greeting, producing packs of cubed meat that had already been waiting for him.

By the time he had left it was starting to get dark, and he took to drving around, snacking on the raw beef like they were Combos snacks. Everytime a dribble of blood would trickle down his chin, he simply wiped it away with his sleeve, appearing a glutton. On these regular drives he would wallow in a great depression, wondering where the hell he was going with his life.

he was barely paying attention as he was forced suddenly to slam on the brakes, his tires screeching as he swerved, trying to avoid the white thing in the middle of the road. Swearing and breathing heavily, he jumped from his truck to examine what it was.

Whisper lay sprawled across the centerline of the street, shivering uncontrollably though the fur of her Malamute form was quite warm. Her left hind paw was paw was bleeding badly and for a moment panic welled within her like a sickness of blinding cold, but it didn’t last too long before she remembered. The wound was old by a day or two at least and it certainly couldn’t be credited to a car accident. No, stupidity and sheer hunger had earned her her lameness and at the hands, or rather jaws, of a ridiculously obvious steel trap no less. And now stupidity had led her to yet another steel forged monster though this one, thankfully, hand missed her by half an inch.

As panic and the initial shock of nearly becoming road kill ebbed away, the realization of her newest predicament hit her like an avalanche. Someone had been driving the truck that had nearly hit her – Obviously. Trucks couldn’t operate themselves, could they? – and, whoever that someone was, was now getting out to investigate. Whimpering pitifully, Whisper deliberated the situation as quickly as she could, curling her fluffy white tail over her wounded leg as she did so to shield it from the biting cold. People usually led to food and shelter, not to mention safety but they could also bring a lot of trouble. What if the owner of the truck knew Serpentes? Though not very likely, it was possible and if it was so, they’d probably take her back to him. But what if it was just some country muggle, some hick that knew nothing of magic and Death Eaters? If that was so, then she’d have passed up an opportunity that she really couldn’t afford to lose if she didn’t have to. The choice sounded simple enough, but all the possible consequences of either choice made it so hard, and Whisper’s mind was already running on little more than adrenaline. Should she Shift to human and stay or remain Animal and flee? Shift or flee, Shift or flee.

In the end, she didn’t really get to make the choice. The truck’s occupant had already gotten a good look at her by the time her incisiveness had brought her fearfully to her feet and with her strength next to nothing, standing was a chore in itself.

Carlisle stepped out to get a closer look, seeing the hurt Mamalute in front of him. He approached her tentatively; she appeared to be already hurt. Slowly, cautiously, he bent down, placing a hand on her thick, warm fur. "There, there, it's all right, girl," he said soothingly, a hush that was barely a murmur but what she was sure to have heard.

Whisper shivered, uncertain whether she should snap at the hand that touched her or tilt her head for more. She'd never been petted before. Her nose caught a strange scent, a fusion of wolf and man, and her shivering increased as she realized what her nose was telling her, even though she'd never scented a werewolf before.

Her unease gave her some small reserve of strength, and she pulled away from his grasp, whining softly to voice her nerves.

"Are you hungry?" Carlisle intoned softly. "I bet you are girl, I know what it's like to be hungry." He shuddered, remembering the events over past Christmas, where he had been given neither food or water for a long period of time. Slowly, he moved his hands under her to pick her up, wondering how she was going to react. He didn't know how she was going to, knowing well enough the wolfish instincts that could inhabit and seize control of canines.

Whisper's mouth watered at the mention of food. She hadn't eaten much of anything in days and already she was little more than skin and bones with hunger. Even so, when the stranger bent to pick her up, her instincts told her to bite and claw, to do whatever she could to get away. Instead she managed to restrain herself. She was so tired...

Carlisle picked the dog up and carefully, moved to the door on the passenger side, opening it and pushing the front chair forward to lay the white mamalute in the back seat, so that the giant dog had stretch room. He crawled over to the other side and turned his key in the ignition; the engine roared to life, and he pressed his foot on the gas pedal slowly, taking off down the road. He wondered if the dog was going to go for the pack of raw meat he had in the seat next to him. He wouldn't mind it.

At the smell of the meat, Whisper's restraint fell to dust. Ignoring the pain of her hind paw, crawled over to it, snapping down a few cubes before retreating back against the door. Part of her expected to be struck, after all this stranger did believe that she was little more than a dog, and she had never met a human who handled dogs very kindly.

Carlisle handed her the whole pack of meat, saying, "Yeah, I'll agree, that's pretty good." How crazy to I look here to talking to myself? Carlisle thought, shaking his head. He was going insane, he was sure of it. Or, the afteraffects of being a werewolf were like so.

He himself took a cube of the raw meat, mashing it together with his small incisors, and swallowing it in one big gulp, satisfied with the sweet taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back