Becoming Mad

Sapphire Bookchild

OOC First Name
Ana V.
Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
It had been a while since Sapphire had been allowed outside because of what happened between her and Phobos. It had taken that long for her want to go outside. She was out now and enjoying herself. Another thing that Sapphire was afraid of was playing her flute. She loved to play and she knew she was good but she didn't play very often. She was always afraid that Phobos was listening.

Phobos liked when she played but it was slightly creepy to have him humming along one note ahead of her. She put the instrument to her lips now and played the first song that came to her head. 'A very merry unbirthday.' She didn't know why that song had come to her head but then she loved Alice in Wonderland. Why she did so was a mystery since the only fantasy books in the big house where the originals. The ones that told of Snow White and what she did to the queen that tried to kill her or what really happened to the witch in the Gingerbread house. Stories that gave children nightmares.

Sapphire didn't want to think of those stories. She kept playing for no one in particular as she sat in the middle of a meadow close to Brightstone Village.

Penelope was in a good mood. She was wandering around again, trying to get used to her new home. She had very good ears, and heard some faint music. It was from Alice in Wonderland. She followed the music, and then she found a girl in the middle of a meadow. She walked towards the girl. She waited until the song was finished, then she clapped a little.

"Hello there," she said with a smile. "I'm Penelope. I love the song that you were playing, and I followed the sound of the music. You're a really good musician, you know. I couldn't dream of playing an instrument well."

Nadia smiled as she looked around her. She was just out wandering like she normally does. Its howo she finds all the best places really. She had found a Garden and an Orchid through her relentless wandering. It was definately a good thing. Wandering I mean. You could end up just about anywhere. In your own little dream world if you so like. She had been wandering for nearly an hour when she heard some music. It was 'A merry unhappy birthday' from 'Alice in Wonderland'. It was one of Nadia's favourites.

She wandered closer to the music and peeked through the trees. In the clearing were two girls. One was sitting down playing a flute. And the other had just seemed to have turned up. She had been clapping. It was Penelope. Nadia wondered if Penelope knew the girl on the ground. She couldn't hear a word that was being said.

( OOC: Wait til Sapphire posts before any-one else does know I think. Would be easier instead of every-one just piling in.)

Sapphire reached the end of the song to find someone listening to her play. She looked at the girl for a moment blinking but then smiled. She took a pen out of the sash around her waist which seemed to hold nearly anything that she would ever need and wrote down Thank you. My brothers and younger sister all play. Mother says that music is a magic that only few can proform. on a piece of parchment which again came from the sash. Sapphire's vivid blue eyes spotted another girl coming from behind the trees and again she stared. For a moment she looked like she wanted to say hello. Instead she just signed it with her hands hoping that the girl would understand what she meant. There where often times when people became confused by her actions.

Oscar had been having a ruff day. It had started off badly, very badly. For one thng Oscar got up late. And this meant he missed breakfast. On his way to get something to eat he was stopped but the other children in his year, who saw themselves as better than him, just because they could dance well. Oscar had managed to get himself out of being down in by yelling teacher and then running. Oscar had run away, straight to his bike. He got on the bike and just rode off as quickly as he could. Not taking one glance back at the stupid school.

Not sure of where to go, Oscar cycled. Through the trees, along the streets back alley ways. Every direction that di not lead him back to school. It was silly. Silly. Oscar half way to the next big city, decided on where he was to go. The one place he felt safe. Where he had friends. And where no one cared what his talents were. Oscar turned his bike around and cycled off in the direction of Brightstone Villiage. Oscar looked down at his feet as pedaled. It was a good thing that Oscar could do forms of sports for long periods of time. Oscar was dressed plainly. In a usual White baggy dance t-shirt and joggies. He was wearing his sport trainers, as oscar had never planned to have gone to class. He knew this trait in him would not change.

Oscar was at Brightstone soon, which pleased him. Henliked this place. Oscar smiled at the familiar sights. His brown eyes showed the happiness he felt. Not sure what to do, oscar cycled onto a meadow just on the outskirts of Brightstone. He would sit in the warm sun and just wonder about what to do next. It was while cycling that Oscar spotted three girls. One he knew. Sapphire. Oscar grew worried that these girls were maybe buoying her, or annoying her. Oscar got off his bike, and walked over to the group. He looked at Sapphire and smiled his hello. He was very pleased to see Sapphire. It was always good to see her.

"Hey there." Oscar said, to the other girls. He had a quiet voice that sounded like Oscar who took life in his strike. Who things came easily to. The laid back friendly guy, people could trust. Oscar took a seat beside Sapphire, and looked from her to the girls, as if asking if they were annoying her.

"You play?" Oscar asked glancing at the Flute. His hazel brown eyes fixed onto the flute. There was so much about Sapphire that he as of yet did not know, how much he was even more unsure about.

It had been a hard day for Elizabeth, not that that was unusual for her now. Being away from her family and friends hurt the most, and the constant nagging feeling that her mother could be in trouble again. Effy worried when her father hit her mother, she was sure that mum had never really done anything wrong, nothing to deserve a slap across the face. Effy had tried to go to school, she really had. But it didn't work out for her, as usual. People pestered her, and she could never stay awake through all of her classes anyway. She had concluded that there was no point in going anymore, so the almost eleven year old girl found herself lying in a cool meadow, enjoying the peace and quiet. As she lay looking up at the clouds she heard a familiar tune being played, she lifted her head slightly, her straggly black hair hanging just above the cool grass.

She recognized the song from Alice in Wonderland, it was a book she had been read many a time by her mother, before she got sad that was. Effy had nothing better to do, so she got up and dusted off her dress. She looked around the meadow and noticed a group of girls sitting in a circle, one holding a flute. Effy's eyes then fixed on a boy sitting with them. She thought she had seen him before, so she approached the group and sat down next to the boy. "Oscar isn't it?" she said smiling. The girl needed to at least make an effort to gain some friends.

Elizabeth looked around at the other girls, they seemed like nice children. Perhaps they would take her in, let her be their friend. She noticed that one girl didn't seem to be speaking, but she had a piece of parchment in front of her with a scrawl of writing across it. Effy smiled, she wasn't going to make fun of the girl, in fact she found it rather interesting.

Armand heard the flute despite the loud clamoring of the crowd around Brightstone Village. The piece wasn't familiar to him, though he believed that he knew the one playing it. It must be his little sister meandering around town so that she wouldn't need to return to their damned house. After all, Marianne was there, she might only start lecturing Cosette for her quietude and her lack of vanity. Armand knew all that, but anyone could say that Armand's personality does not drown in someone else's personality, much more from Marianne's.

Returning back to the scene though, Armand was quite sure that it was Cosette who was playing the flute. Because there was a certain characteristic in the playing that seemed really familiar to him. "Ressemble trop à jouer Cosette" he murmured to himself. But saying this was a sign that he was not at all sure that it was his sister playing the song. For Armand knew all the songs Cosette was playing. He always finds her music sheets inside the house and despite not playing an instrument himself, he could imagine how every notes sound, thus making him listen to the music in his mind.

The uncertainty then started to poison his straight thinking. Armand couldn't anymore care to look at the shops he had passed. And the thought came to him. He needed to find the one playing the flute. And there he started to run, afraid that the song would soon stop and he wouldn't find the person. Gone pour l'éternité. But the playing eventually stopped, and Armand swore he felt his heart sink. He stopped running and looked up, almost like drinking the fact that he lost the chance to know the truth. It would haunt his dreams tonight.

But fate sparked light when Armand looked down and saw a group of young people just in front of him. They were beautiful people, just as so many people here in the magical world. But the one who caught Armand's eye was the girl holding a flute. Everyone seemed to be talking to her. But this didn't matter to Armand. He walked towards the group and then pointed the flute the girl was holding. "Were you the one playing just awhile ago?" he asked with a smile. He could have found her after all, then.

Nadia walked closer as the girl seemed to guesture a wave at her. She looked down at the paper in the girls lap. Perhaps the girl couldn't speak? Nadia felt sad for the girl. She had never met any-one like her before. She hoped that they could be friends. She sat opposite the girl, next to Penelope. Suddenly more and more people began to come. It was like they were all sort of drawn to the place. Some of them knew each other. Some didn't. Armand showed up a while later and asked if the girl had been the one playing the flute. It was, but Nadia didn't say anything. She just kept smiling like she usually did.

"It was a very beautiful song, it is one of my favourites for Alice in Wonderland" She said truthfully. She still had a box of chocolates in her bag and wondered if any-one wanted any. She pulled them out and sat them in the middled of the group. "Does any-one want some, I made them myself" That was usually how she offered chocolate to some-one. She was a excellent cook. She loved to cook, which was usually how she got so many boxes of chocolates. She would just keep cooking.

"And don't go far.." Benny's mother called anxiously, as the small boy made his way to a field, clutching his wrist as he walked; a usual habit. Benny heard music, and wished that he had his guitar with him. But no, he didn't, and he simply listened to the flute instead. He recognised the song as one from his favourite story of all time, and began to smile excitedly. He came across a group of other children, and delightedly waved at them. "Hello," he exclaimed quietly. No matter how excited he got, Benny was still shy.

((awful post sorry))

Penelope looked around. A whole group had gathered. Music certainly could bring people together. The only one she knew out of them was Nadia. All of the other people were new. Penelope felt a bit nervous. A ton of people were around now and if she spoke, then she would most likely blurt out a boring fact from a textbook that would annoy everyone else. She decided to try not to say anything. She just smiled at the other people, hoping that if she had to talk, she wouldn't say a boring fact.

She watched as Nadia offered chocolates to everyone. She took one of them and popped it in her mouth. It was delicious.

"Thank you, Nadia," she said. "Those are really good."

Sapphire saw that Oscar had come and smiled wide as she got up off the ground she gave him a friendly hug then saw the other girl that had come there where now four in here and somehow knew that there would be more. Sapphire listened as the other girl asked if his name was Oscar. Sapphire thought about how he lied about his name when he first met her and started to sign. His name is Knight as in White Knight. Hoping that the girl would understand. There was a chance that Oscar had told this girl his true name but there was chance that the others didn't know it.

Another boy came on to the scene asking if it was her that was playing. Sapphire nodded and went back to her flute. Her name was engraved on the very end in tiny curly letters but she wouldn't show anyone that at the moment. Instead she put the flute down and started on the parchment. The Door Mouse has many talents. then showed it to the other boy. By that time more had come. One of the girls that had been drawn to her playing offered everyone chocolate and she took one carefully. It wasn't often that Sapphire was allowed sweets.

The boy seemed to be very shy around them and Sapphire gave him her best comforting smile but nothing more. She didn't talk at all when there where so many people around. In fact she would stay as close to Oscar as she could. He had been so brave when facing Zeal even though Phobos couldn't be far behind. She chewed slowly, watching Penelope enjoy her's as well.

Nadia smiled as Penelope and the girl enjoyed her sweets. She curiously looked the parchment that the girl had written on. The Door Mouse has many talents What a curious thing to say. Door Mouse? Was that not from Alice in Wonderland. And White Knight, wasn't that from there as well. Hmm.... "Curiouser and Curiouser" Nadia mumbled slightly. This girl, 'Door Mouse' as she had so named herself was a very interesting soul indeed. "Can I call you Door Mouse?" She asked. It would be fun.

She took a chocolate from her batch. It was conveniently shaped like a rabbit. She giggled slightly. "I kinda feel like Alice right now" She said putting the chocolate in her mouth.

Oscar Looked up at the girl who appeared to know his name. That was odd, Oscar had never met the girl before. He was sure of it. He hardly spent any time with anyone. With Sapphire, he was quiet. And they didn't need to even talk. Oscar looked at Sapphire. She seemed to have the same sort of confusion that he did. But as he looked at her with a I have no idea how she knew that look, he Watched as she signed White Knight. Osxar smiled at her. Before looking back round as more people joined them. Oscar stood close by Sapphire realising that maybe this would be a little too many.

Being a little awkward in crowds Oscar was sure that if anyone else arrived it would just be too many. Oscar shook his head to the chocolates, while Reading the name that Sapphire had written down. He had no clue what it was about. He had not clue what the names meant. He really didn't. He wondered if Sapphire wanted to be called that. Alice. As in Alice and Wonderland? Oscar had never seen the film, or read the book. He'd never gotten round to either of those things.

"Yeah, I'm Oscar." he finally said. "This is Sapphire. Or Door Mouse. What are all your names?" He asked wanting to know more about the people around him. And hopefully knowing everyones names would make everyone more comfortable, as it appeared that no one was.

Soon enough there was quite a crowd in the meadow, all of the children seemed so different, so unique. Elizabeth smiled at Oscar, he probably wondered how she knew his name, truth was she knew alot of things, she had always been very observant. "White knight aye? Well my names nothing fancy" she replied, "Its just Elizabeth, but you can call me Effy" she added. Effy relaxed on the cool grass and smiled at Sapphire, she certainly was interesting. She wondered why the girl didn't talk, but she thought it too rude to ask so she stayed quiet.

Looking up at the sky, the small girl didn't know what to say, she was usually confident and outgoing, but since her family had starte falling apart she had stopped saying so much, and began to favour keeping quiet and listening to what other people said. Thomas often said she shouldn't evesdrop, but Effy explained she was merely quietly listening to to others conversations. Elizabeth looked over at her bike and couldn't help but miss her family. It was an old 50's bike with a bell and basket and she could still remember the chistmas she got it. It had been a beautiful pale pink with flowers in the basket. Now it was merely a rusty old bike that Effy had painted red, but the paint was flaking off in many places. "Do you go to school?" Effy asked Sapphire, she looked back at Oscar as if to say 'why doesn't she talk?'

Nadia nodded at Oscar and continued offering chocolate around. "Well, I'm Nadia, but you can call me Ninja if you want, my friends do." She said smiling. She looked around. This place was so unfamilair to her, but she had been drawn to this place by Sapphire's music. Door Mouse, as Nadia had now decided to call her. Sapphire had seemed to take on a whole new persona. She was very fascinating.

"I-I'm P-Penelope," Penelope said. "B-but you can give me a nickname. I-I never really got one."

She was embarrassed about stuttering, but it happened when she was nervous. She hoped that all of the other people weren't bullies. She realized that 'Door Mouse' spoke through sign language. She had learned a lot of it and could understand what she meant.

Sapphire looked at Penelope, her blue eyes glittering slightly. Why wouldn't her Majesty the White Queen need a nickname? She said with a wide smile. The girl seemed like she was suffering something. Sapphire too suffered when she was at home so she knew what it was like to be shy of the people outside your door. Because of that she was trying to help Penelope feel more conferable around them.

The others seemed nice too but she learned that seeming nice may not be nice at all. She hoped that her assumption was right and they could all be friends at least play this game with each other so those that needed it would have a place to escape the cards that they where given.

Nadia smiled at Sapphire. She was calling Penelope the white queen. That was pretty cool. Nadia smiled. She looked at Sapphire. "Well, you can call me whatever you want, you seem very good at making nicknames for people. And I don't really like being called Ninja anyway." She sighed. Ninja was from a bad memory. It had caused her great pain. Only Tamalia really called her Ninja. She pulled her legs up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. She rested her cheek on her knees. Ninja was a bad omen....for her anyway.

Sapphire was happy that people didn't think her all that strange for giving people the names of the people in the book that she loved so much. Then again it seemed to fit them somehow. You could say that Alice was a Ninja but I think that Alice is good all the same.She said again with her hands. She noticed that Oscar was being quiet again and she knew why. They where of a simmilar nature her friend and herself. Sapphire on a normal bases when through great pains not to be noticed but here in the meddow with people she hardly knew it seemed like the Door Mouse was being slightly more open with people. Given she was still not uttering a word but a few seemed to understand her.

Her eyes wondered over to her flute as it seemed like the coversation was winding down and she started to play the 'Lobster Quadrille' hoping that someone would know the words and that people would get more in the spirit of the event that was taking place. Whatever they had been doing before didn't matter and what they where going to do after was thier own buisness. Right here and now a Mad Tea Party was going to begine. She knew from her talks with Oscar that he hated dancing but she wondered how he felt about singing.

Benny sat quietly, slightly behind the group of people. He picked a lone daisy from the grass and twisted it absentmindedly between his fingers, observing it's beauty. Benny felt a little like the daisy sometimes. But the more he thought about it, the less he paid attention to others, so Benny looked up and smiled shyly. "Nice to meet you all!" he laughed quietly, realizing that he'd missed half the names.

Nadia perked up slightly when she heard the familiar tune of one of her favourite songs. She smiled and started singing along.

"Will you walk a little faster?"
Said a whiting to a snail,
"There's a porpoise close behind us,
Treading on my tail."
See how eagerly the lobsters
And the turtles all advance!

Nadia loved this song, it was her all time favourite Alice in Wonderland song.

They are waiting on the shingle -
Will you come and join the dance?
So, will you, won't you, won't you,
Will you, won't you join the dance?
Will you, won't you, will you,
Won't you, won't you join the dance?

She smiled happily as she listened to the tune and sang the words. She hoped that Sapphire wouldn't mind.

"You can really have no notion
How delightful it will be
When they take us up and throw us,
With the lobsters, out to sea!"
But the snail replied, "Too far, too far!"
And gave a look askance -
Said he thanked the whiting kindly,
But he would not join the dance.
So, would not, could not, would not,
Could not, would not join the dance.
Would not, could not, would not,
Could not, could not join the dance.