• The Measure by Nikki Erlick

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 101 essays that will change the way you think by Brianna Wiest

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I started the book today (I am only 5% and most of that is contents page etc) but so far I am enjoying it. I quite like the voice it wis written in, nice and easy to read

I have put my next comment in a spoiler in case you dont want to read it. I am only up to the end of bens second chapter. so not much of a spoiler but there are quotes.
My first impression is that it is very much a mirror of the early days of COVID-19. with all the uncertainty. and people turning to different platforms for ideas and no one knowing what was real and what was made up. even the fact that it happened in march seemed to reflect on covid as that was the mont it really started to hit the world by storm.
but seriously each of these quotes could be about covid.

"'Who knows what the world will look like by then??' 'I agree, but if we dont have any actual facts, then we are just adding to the noise,' said Nina. 'or fearmongering' said another. ' everyone's already afraid' one of the writers interjected"

"At the same time, the politicians, faced with a growing number of questions, turned to the scientists for answers. and since the boxes appeared all over the world, the scientists turned to each other." ((well in that one chance boxes to cases))

"But then in march the world did change. And now it was hard for Ben to even keep his focus on the plans in front of him. when he overheard the woman's question at the next table he couldn't help but listen. The woman was clearly an adamant denier as at first many were. but their ranks were dwindling week after week"

"when your sample size is the entire world you're bound to find anecdotes that supper any theory"

would I open the box. I am unsure. probably not initially. but I will leave it somewhere like a tantalus. andI probably would eventually open it. and see

My first impression is that it is very much a mirror of the early days of COVID-19
Yeah, I also immediately made the parallel to COVID too as soon as I saw that the boxes arrived in March. That was when things started moving towards work from home and there was a discernible weird energy as people moved around the city and then, of course, the big shutdown happened mid-March.
I'm also finding it an easy read so far, though I only managed to read a few pages before I was too tired to keep reading. More today!

It's interesting that only adults received boxes. I'm curious as to whether or not there will be an explanation for that.

I'm also undecided about if I would open the box, but I lean towards that I wouldn't. I'm curious to see if the many perspectives in the book change my mind.

Last edited:
I hate having two books on the go at once, so I'm rushing to get through my current book before starting this one. My library doesn't have it at all though, so I'll have to buy it (unless anyone has a spare ebook version I can borrow 🥺 ) so here's hoping I like it!

As far as whether I would open the box, it's hard to say. I'm really bad at resisting things that I'm curious about, but I also get crazy anxious at the best of times and as I get older I've gotten better at resisting things that would make me worse. On the flipside, it would be useful knowing exactly how long I've got to cram in everything I want to do. I think I would agonise over it for a while, before eventually opening it. if i didn't manage to lose it somehow like i lose EVERYTHING

I finally made it to the library - to get signed up and everything - and have the book reseved. (there's one copy of it in all of edinburgh libraries). So I might be a bit behind xD

But without knowing much more about the plot, i'm almost certain, i would open it immediately, i'd be too curious

I hope it's not too late to be added to this! I just bought the book this weekend so I'm a little behind.

My first impression not knowing much about the book, but knowing myself; I honestly think I would open the box. I'd want to know. I'm a planner so if that box would give me any insight onto how I should plan my future (or lack there of) I would want to know.

I hope it's not too late to be added to this! I just bought the book this weekend so I'm a little behind.
Definitely not too late! Im only about 60 pages in and others haven't yet started so you're right on time ^_^

EDIT so I don't double post:

Ooh some of the societal implications that are coming up I hadn't even considered. The only one that I'd thought of was
the social determinants of health stuff and whether PoC would more generally have shorter strings and how dangerous that information could be if known for the reasons mentioned in the book.

Up until today, I've generally liked the characters. But Anthony was just introduced and ugh ugh ugh so far. Of course his string is long :tut: xD

Last edited:
I'm about half way as of this morning. I don't think I have very many coherent thoughts to share at the moment.
But rip Hank, absolute legend.

But I do love when a character is an architect so I can see how my profession is interpreted lol.

As for opening the box I ABSOLUTELY would NOT. Death is a big anxiety trigger for me and I think knowing, especially without a how, would make me crazy. Short or long the end comes anyways and I don't think I could handle it. Of course there are pros like Rowan mentioned and like finishing a bucket list in time but for me, couldn't do it.

But as for thoughts I do have
I definitely see the COVID parallels with a sudden shift in society that affects people's sense of mortality. And also share a bit of everybody's angst about having to go to work when there is such bigger fish to fry.

Also I know nothing of computer programing or statistics but would love to know how they made the length to year calculator so relatively quickly. Like what data are they pulling from??? lol

Personally I don't love fictional prejudice but at least it is fairly interesting to see how this factor is used to divide people. I do also kind of wish we had a slightly wider view into how this box phenomenon affects others around the world. There's been some vague allusions to different countries and it's probably way too much to tackle but it does make me curious.

Last edited:
I just picked up my book today! Will keep you updated

I finished the book a few days ago. I literally couldn't put it down.
yes i felt the same way about the characters. i liked all of the main ones. EXCEPT Anthony. like really i wanted to shout at him at times

I like how all of the stories are interconnected. From the Latters between A and B, to how hanks death triggered Jack's action. hank will always be remembered as a hero. and how the girl he had seen at the hospital ended up getting his lungs. Even how the story of gertrude and her soldier tied in to jacks grandad
all through the book i was thinking about amie and her string. how she assumed she had a long one. but i was like i wonder what would happen if she didn't. if she and Ben died in an accident. and i called it. something i was glad about and sad because of.

i was thinking how much different peoples life would be if the boxes hadnt appeared were they a trigger for their own content.
would jack and javier have swapped strings, did the strings know that they would do that. if javier had got the long one and jack actually been the short stringer, would jack have stood up to his uncle the same. would hank have quit his job at the hospital if he didn't know he would soon die? would he have been at the protest?
it really makes me think of what is fate and what is free will. or was you fighting to change you fate part of what your fate is
c48a4d003e67c2eb852298752a696d0e.gif

• Flying, to Ben, always felt like sidestepping time, the hours on an airplane existing outside the normal continuum of life below.
  • Who knows what the world will even look like by then?” “I agree, but if we don’t have any actual facts, then we risk just adding to the noise,” said Nina. “Or fearmongering,” said another. “Everyone’s already afraid,” one of the writers interjected.
  • “But we can’t just act like it’s not happening. I can’t keep teaching them history and pretending like we’re not living through it right now.”
  • Even before the boxes appeared, the traditional barriers of privacy had long been collapsing, hers already a society of over-sharers. Maura, like so many others, had posted photo after photo online—of decadent meals, of the view from her office, of weekends at the beach with Nina—each one encouraging people to pry deeper and deeper into others’ lives, to expect a certain degree of transparency. Until, finally, even the act of looking at your string—what should have been the most intimate, the most personal of moments—became just another insight into your life that no longer belonged to you alone.
  • “They’re a reminder that sometimes we screw up, and sometimes the system screws with us, but if you live your life with enough passion and boldness, then that’s what you’ll be remembered for. Not the crap that happened along the way.”
  • Did a patient receive less care because her string was short, or was a patient’s string short because she received less care?
  • Both embittered and emboldened by the knowledge that they wouldn’t live to suffer a lengthy imprisonment, some short-stringers felt almost invincible. There was no need to fear death row if you were already sitting there.
  • In America, where the populace had proven time and again to be particularly susceptible to paranoia, suspicions took root deeply and quickly.
  • Maura wasn’t surprised. “You can always count on the artists to step up,” she said, “especially during a crisis.” “And to do it in song.” Terrell smiled.
  • Ben was mesmerized by the footage of crowded beaches in Croatia and Denmark and Finland, hundreds of young people jumping barefoot in the sand as the fires engulfed their boxes. Their rejection of the strings felt even more defiant in light of America’s recent move to ban short-stringers from certain posts of authority. While some buckled under the frightening power of the strings, Ben thought, others set them ablaze.
  • “Oh please, only lesbians sing ‘Valerie.’” [[this is my go to Karaoke song, i feel called out]]
  • “All those people with the long strings who you thought you saved,” Ben said, “you did save them. Their strings were long because you were meant to save them. Their strings were long because of you.”
  • Anthony just hoped that Jack’s short string wouldn’t lead him to do anything rash, anything that could taint his and Katherine’s good names. [[highlighted with comment: the audacity of this man. maybe jack has short string becausd he will die saving kid from a car accident or you ungreatful ass from another bullet. hevens knows you disserve one]]
  • Or perhaps it was obvious, Maura finally realized, that he would die the same way he lived, according to his oath—saving the lives of others, even those who seemed unworthy.
  • And, that night in the frat house, his string had reached its end. If the alcohol hadn’t killed him, then something else would have, right? As long as the boy’s string was short—had always been short—then Anthony wasn’t to blame. He couldn’t think of it any other way. He couldn’t entertain the possibility that there was a particular reason the boy’s string was short.
  • Whether the answer was fifty or ninety, she didn’t want any number in her head. Amie’s refuge was found in her fantasies, in her musings about the future. A number would destroy all of that. It would ground her. She simply had to live her life in oblivion, as if her string were somehow infinite. It was the only way she knew how.
  • But when Ben looked at the young woman before him, he thought about her string, and how every piece of the thread that extended beyond that afternoon in August was a portion gifted from Hank’s string to hers, how this woman’s life had been lengthened simply because Hank had been alive,
  • Amie remembered what Nina once told her: You don’t know what you’re capable of. And maybe Nina was right. But everyone around Amie just seemed so much more capable. She couldn’t even open her box.
  • When the wails were at last heard in the waiting room, Maura was returning from a coffee run, and she paused as she came upon the scene: Terrell pouring champagne into paper cups. Sean and Nihal high-fiving. Chelsea jumping up and down, her heeled boots clapping against the floor. It was then that Maura realized this group of strangers had remarkably formed a family. One that mourned together, when Hank died, and celebrated together, now, as Lea brought two lives into the world.
  • “You know, your friend Javier reminds me of another man I used to know, whose string was also much shorter than it should have been. But he and Javier both made such a difference with their lives. Their impact will be felt for years, even generations,” she said. “In a way, I think the two of them had the longest strings I’ve ever seen.” [[the two different stories coming together Javier and Frank, the two heros
  • Nina knew that she would never stop missing them, Amie and Maura and Ben. But she would honor her promise. She would not fall apart. She would be the rock, now, for Willie and Midge. She would keep making plans, for all three of them.
  • Someday, Nina thought, these children would all have children of their own, born into a world with little memory of the time before the boxes, when Nina and the other long-stringers of her generation would retreat to the stillness of old age, reminiscing about the arrival of the chests like her own grandparents once spoke of the Second World War, a seismic shift that everyone else merely learned about in textbooks and novels. Something so unfathomable for the two young sisters reading in a bookshop, for the shy boy drawing buildings on a sketchpad, for the carefree woman singing karaoke at a bar, would someday be just another part of growing up.
  • the gift was simply receiving any string at all.

I FINALLY finished the other book I was reading last night (ty for being so wordy Mary Shelley) so I've started at last!

I don't know why, but from the summary I had expected the boxes to be something far more magical, like.... idk, it would give you a vision or something. Somehow a completely (mostly) mundane piece of string is so much more sinister, I love it.

It's also interesting reading a book that deals with a (for lack of a better term) pandemic that was written in the last couple of years. Last year I read a sci fi dystopia where a plague had wiped out a huge chunk of the human race, but it had been written years ago. It was strange and painful reading a dystopia that was actually devastatingly optimistic in hindsight. (A republican president dropping everything to fund a vaccine...... 🫠 ) The Measure is approaching the concept of all of humanity being affected by something terrible in a way with a lot more experience, and the tone is so markedly different, I've really been enjoying it.

I finished the book yesterday and overall I really enjoyed it. It was a quick, easy read. I can definitely see why it made so many book club lists that I looked through. Having finished the book, I feel validated in the reasons I had before starting of why I wouldn't have opened my box and am more sure now that I wouldn't. :p

And I'm psyched I finished 5 days before it was due because the Libby app just rescinds your access and it would've been terrible to wait weeks to read a few pages xD

I try my best not to try to guess at what will happen when I read so I can just allow the story to unfold so it took me a moment to get that Amie died with Ben! I thought Nina was just shocked that an accident had killed Ben and not cancer. I had to go back a page and read it again, and then I was like oh noooo. It was a shock!

- "Hank felt like he had been watching the world move through the stages of grief, inching closer and closer to some form of acceptance, a new notion of normality. But it seemed to him that, at every stage, more and more people had been left behind, trapped within each phase, unable to transition out. "
Another COVID reminder. This is definitely how the world feels some days.

- "Sure, it's pointing to the string inside, but maybe that's not the only measure we have. Maybe there are thousands of other ways we could measure our lives- the true quality of our lives- that lie within us, not within some box. "

Love love love this. That our lives can have meaning based on our impact to others, our values, our reach, rather than our time.

- "Se il per sempre nos esiste lo inventeremo noi. [If forever doesn't exist, we'll invent it ourselves.]"
When I read the English version of the phrase, it was one of those times where I feel like English doesn't do a phrase justice. Here it is in Spanish: Si no existe por siempre, lo inventaremos nosotros.
Would love to see it in other languages!

- Ben telling his parents about his string. Oh my goodness.

- "But when Ben looked at the young woman before him, he thought about her string, and how every piece of the thread that extended beyond that afternoon in August was a portion gifted from Hank's string to hers..."

Such a nice way to phrase the impact we have on others.

- "That the beginning and the end may have been chosen for us, the string already spun, but the middle had always been left undetermined, to be woven and shaped by us. "

I finished the book yesterday and hooooo wee... a very good book but man particularly challenging to me for personal reasons

A few people on site know this, but for anyone who isn't aware, my mum has severe epilepsy that doesn't respond well to medication. I grew up her primary carer from ages 3 (when my parents separated) to 17 (when I left home) and it's a job my sister's taken over ever since. Seizures can come on completely at random and there's no way of predicting how severe they'll be or what other risk factors are (things like having a seizure snug in bed vs. having a seizure at the top of a flight of stairs) so I've lived my whole life in constant hypervigiliance when it comes to sudden death. Even not living there anymore, I'm always aware that I could get that phonecall at any moment. It almost happened a couple of years ago, and I had to drop everything in the middle of teaching and run to the hospital. I'm diagnosed with CPTSD because of all this, and I've spent over a decade in and out of therapy.

So TL;DR: I've got a really really complicated personal relationship to the whole concept of sudden death. 31 years sitting in constant, constant wait for a sudden death that could come any second OR could be decades away yet, and there's no way of knowing. It's ROUGH, and there's a lot of comfort in the idea that you could just KNOW, to be able to ACTUALLY relax in the safe years, and know when it's time to prepare and to mourn, rather than being stuck in constant limbo. I don't know how I would react to my own box. (Though I suspect curiosity would be my undoing as in all things.) But I know I'd be begging my mum to open hers.

As for the actual book itself, overall I enjoyed it a lot.

More than anything, I was really impressed with how well the author captured the dread and uncertainty of looking at the world and realising it's changed and isn't ever going to change back. The covid parallels are so clear without it ever needing to be said or feeling crowbarred in there, they just are and it works.

I found different characters interesting to different degrees, as is inevitable with multi-POV stories, though I think I connected most with Nina and Ben. Nina's role loving someone with a shorter life spoke to me for obvious reasons, and Ben struggling to see the worth in pursuing the future he's always wanted, and feeling selfish for wanting to ask someone to make that commitment with him. There are so many complicated elements to the world, and I love that the story didn't shy away from them.

I even found myself enjoying Anthony's chapters, as much as I loathed him as a person. It's hard to get the POV of such an obvious villain right, but he was quite well written. The character I COULDN'T get into at all was Javi. Maybe it's an American thing, but the military worship is just nonsense to me, I found him and Jack difficult to relate to. (Jack somewhat easier, since he wasn't actually personally invested in the military, but he sure was willing to go along with it anyway.) That said, I did enjoy the philosophical questions raised by their switch, but framing it all through the military just lost me completely.

There were a few technical niggles in the writing style that got to me at times, and a few philosophical questions I wish had gotten more attention, (I went into more detail about that stuff in my Goodreads review) but overall I really enjoyed this book, it's not one I would have picked up myself (see aforementioned complex relationship with death) but now that I have I'm glad I did.

the social determinants of health stuff and whether PoC would more generally have shorter strings and how dangerous that information could be if known for the reasons mentioned in the book.
I'm really glad the book at least touched on this angle of things, and it also ties in to one of the questions I wish had been given more attention; correlation vs. causation. If someone takes their own life because they saw their string was short, did the string kill them or would they have done that themselves anyway? If someone's neglected in hospital due to a short string, did they die due to the neglect that could have been prevented if they were being taken as seriously as they may have without the strings as a factor? And SPECIFICALLY how does that medical (and institutional on a broader scale) neglect impact groups already harmed by those factors - people of colour, fat people, queer people, disabled people, etc. I could easily see discrimination lawsuits that would take decades to untangle when all those intersections are combined with the strings, and I wish the book had dug into it a bit more. Was the dead woman's pain ignored because she was poor? Because she was a woman? Because she wasn't white? Or can the doctor hide behind a short string and say it was inevitable and therefore they aren't at fault for not treating her? What about other institutions - vulnerable groups falling further into impoverishment and inadequate education because universities won't admit short-stringers who would be "wasting their time", leading to worsening conditions in minority communities cut off even further from the resources available to people already set up in life to have naturally longer strings. There are so many ways the strings would push those on the margins further and further down, and I do wish this had been given more attention. The "yay we love short strings now :)" ending did feel a bit dismissive of these issues to me, it was imo a very like.... white abled middle class view on marginalisation - we threw you a big party and wore rainbow pins so now everything is okay actually :)

I am still working on it! But I am literally just about to meet Anthony.

My thoughts so far:

I would sooooo never open that box. I am a worrier and while I would be curious I couldn't handle knowing.
The letters between Amie and Ben are ADORABLE and I love it (even if its only been one + one so far but still.

Maura and Nina are absolutely the cutest opposites attract and I really enjoy them, and the relationship between Nina and Amie seems really sweet and pure. I like how different the siblings are, and I like how worried over Maura Nina is.

The doctor seems like a good guy, and I've just hit the point where there was a shooting at his hospital and that was sooo sad, and the government going on about 'short stringers' seemed so harsh and sad.

I am enjoying it so far though!

I just started reading it and I'm immediately hooked. Am currently on Hank's first chapter.

Also no question, I'd open the box. I would not be able to deal with the anticipation for longer than maybe an hour.

I finished the book!

My thoughts: Super sweet and poignant, and I'm glad I decided to go through with reading it. Still would never open my box, though.

Maura and Nina were absolutely adorable, they were such a well matched couple and I loved how Maura lived her life to the fullest.

Ben and Amie were goals I loved them so much, I loved their story and their kids and their ending. Her death was a surprise but it was so sweet, and I loved how Nina stepped up to take the kids. Watching Nina grieve and continue living was really sweet. And I loved that the twins were nearby, too.

Hank was one of my favorites, I loved him to death and I really enjoyed Dr. Singh too, and seeing her more throughout the story was really great.

I wish there had been more to Jack's story- he and Javi were so cute, and their story was so sweet in its own way. I wish there was more to the end of his story other than the vagueness he gave, and it felt a bit anti-climactic that there wasn't any real clarification on his side of things, or what happened to Anthony- he was a jerk.

All in all, it felt a bit disjointed- Maura, Nina, Amie and Ben were all so wonderfully fleshed out and built up, and it felt like Jack and Anthony were left behind as characters. I wish there was a bit more to the book, honestly, explaining the rest of the story.

All in all, it felt a bit disjointed- Maura, Nina, Amie and Ben were all so wonderfully fleshed out and built up, and it felt like Jack and Anthony were left behind as characters.
This is a really good point, and I completely agree. Their stories were great representations of the world at large, but when all the other characters were tight knit and the Jack/Javi/Anthony side of things only ever actually touched the "main" characters twice it felt really disconnected. It could have done with some links between maybe Jack or Javi and the rest of the gang, to make those chapters feel more like part of the same story. There could be something really interesting in Javi showing up to the support group in disguise or something, so nobody would realise it was him going. Or perhaps he and Jack could have gone together, with him acting as a "support person" while Jack was coming to terms with a short string, when in reality it was the other way around. There are interesting ways a concrete link could have been built to tie the stories together, because you're completely right, their story almost felt like a whole different book that was happening off to the side without enough development.

This is a really good point, and I completely agree. Their stories were great representations of the world at large, but when all the other characters were tight knit and the Jack/Javi/Anthony side of things only ever actually touched the "main" characters twice it felt really disconnected. It could have done with some links between maybe Jack or Javi and the rest of the gang, to make those chapters feel more like part of the same story. There could be something really interesting in Javi showing up to the support group in disguise or something, so nobody would realise it was him going. Or perhaps he and Jack could have gone together, with him acting as a "support person" while Jack was coming to terms with a short string, when in reality it was the other way around. There are interesting ways a concrete link could have been built to tie the stories together, because you're completely right, their story almost felt like a whole different book that was happening off to the side without enough development.
Didn't it though? And like, I feel like Jack was just left behind. He went to Maura and then nothing, just a half hearted mention later that he got married or something. And Anthony felt like such a background character, like come on, why build up something you aren't even going to finish?

I finished it last night

I really enjoyed it and will post my more in-depth thoughts later, but my first question for everyone is how they interpreted the man with the radio on the bicycle at the very end? It confused me and it felt too specific/weird not to mean anything. What are you guys' thoughts?

Maybe it's an American thing, but the military worship is just nonsense to me, I found him and Jack difficult to relate to. (Jack somewhat easier, since he wasn't actually personally invested in the military, but he sure was willing to go along with it anyway.)
Maybe? I'm going to talk in huge brushstrokes here and the situation has far more nuance than I think I can properly explain without a lot of context and history and I'm speaking from the perspective of someone with a lot of military family and a brother who spent a significant portion of his young adult years in the military, but yes I do think that American patriotism is a big thing and affords military people a level of respect that isn't otherwise afforded to most. And I think Latinos (super broad strokes here because different Latino groups have different histories with the U.S. some marked by colonialism, others by being a refugee country) and the history they have with the U.S. in being accepted and opportunities available (and how the military is marketed to Latinos and in their neighborhoods) and the fact that many Latino countries are very 'high' on military in general makes the military and serving in the military seem like a very high prestige job and a way to give back to your country and "thank" them for the opportunities given. For some, the military does open doors that they wouldn't otherwise have opened. Imagine, in the book, Javi is able to be-friend someone with generational reputation (and probably wealth). In a more real life setting, these two probably would not have been in the same spaces. We don't get a ton of Javi's background but given his family's pride in that he was in the military, these are my thoughts.

On the other hand, America (maybe other countries too, I wouldn't know) doesn't do the best job of taking care of veterans. So their parts made a lot of sense for me in how separate they felt. From the moment folks join the military, they're often taught their lives are not their own. So I saw their parts as showing, us the reader, how much autonomy was taken from them/is taken from military folks. They couldn't decide whether or not to open their box. They couldn't decide how their lives would proceed after. No one offered them special support if their box was short or extra leave to spend time with family. Even Jack couldn't decide how the information about his box was shared.

how they interpreted the man with the radio on the bicycle at the very end? It confused me and it felt too specific/weird not to mean anything. What are you guys' thoughts?
My first reaction was that it was a very NYC thing to happen. For as big as this city is, so many moments like this happen where a friend will mention some weird thing they saw happen in the city and then I'll see it a few weeks later.

My other thought is that the song is pretty spot on to the story in that though you may know how long or short your string is, you still don't really know the how things are going to end and so you get to decide that part.

Thanks for the added perspective Cyndi, it added a ton of context for me. It's still something I have a hard time connecting to but the angles of feeling driven to give back in some way and accessing privilege thats otherwise cut off both contextualise their actions more for me. I can sympathise a bit easier now, though I don't think I'll ever understand fully - American military culture is profoundly alien to me - but the context helps explain their parts of the story a lot.

my first question for everyone is how they interpreted the man with the radio on the bicycle at the very end? It confused me and it felt too specific/weird not to mean anything. What are you guys' thoughts?
I already said this on Discord, but I'm fairly confident it was meant to represent something specific, though I can't put my finger on it exactly. Some kind of higher power that sent the strings? A representation of how life and whimsy carries on through disaster??? I definitely felt like it was symbolic of something but it didn't come across clearly to me. Cyndi's def right about the song being spot on but I still feel like there was something to this whole part that I just didn't get.

Unless I missed it I think the next open spot for leading is November/December, right? If possible and if its still open could I reserve that even though its pretty far off :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back